I Forge Iron

Kingdom of Heaven

bikecopXXX

I thought it was a great movie, as a 3rd crusade re enactor/ enthusiast/smith for many years, there were a few cringe worthy points, but overall I was glad for the lack of over the top Hollywood action.

the crusades were essentially a long series of conflicts based on propaganda and religious extremism from both sides, and it was good to see this portrayed realistically.

Yes, a great movie. The press on the reviews was not favorable but the film itself was well made. The depiction of the blacksmith was historically accurate because they were central to the community for many reasons. Goods, joinery and weapons to name a few of the more obvious functions. Additionally, because of the training and commitment of the individuals pursuing the trade the individuals tended to be both astute and politically savy. Traits which no doubt served them well in turbulent times. No matter who was the ruller of the day, the skills of the blacksmith served all masters. If you want to be a survivor and prosper at the same time, pounding out the iron was a good way to go.

Peter