I Forge Iron

My Small Blacksmith Shop/Garage

Make sure the stand for the gas forge is on wheels.  And get a CO2 fire extinguisher and mount it to the table.  Roll it outside to use.  No need for CO poisoning.  I would build another cart to hold tongs, hammers, files, and whatever else you need.  Put it on wheels too.  And get a post vise, mount it to a round thick plate that could be rolled to where ever it is needed.    Having the ability to move tools easily in a small shop or garage makes life and work so much easier, and faster to set up and break down.

I was planning on opening up both doors in the garage and put a fan in the windows and door, I also have a 8 inch exhaust fan in the garage which I would turn on to prevent any CO poisoning. Its usally raining out here and no room outside to do it either. :( But, yes getting a CO detector will be a must even though I have the room opened. The wheels idea is a good idea, I will need to do that. For the vise(machinest) though I have a HUUUUGE one ways about 100 pounds but right now I am trying to figure out how I want to mount it, thinking along the lines of using some 6x6 lumber strapped together., or a stump.

Greetings Twisted,

I always worry about forges in attached garages...  It only takes one mistake to loose all that you have....    I have several buildings with various shops and most wonder why I do it that way...   If I loose one I don't loose it all..   I would not take your insurance man for a tour..   Now days you can buy a small portable building say 12x12  and put it on a cement floor..   If that is not possible move your forge outside the service door..  I do just that in my winter shop where I only have a 12x14 heated area in a large building..   Just a few steps through the door to the anvil...   I hope this helps...  I sound like a overprotective grandfather...   Yep I am.. 

Forge on and make beautiful things..

Jim

Machinist vises, even huge ones, don't always take well to beating on them. Post vises on the other hand are designed for pounding on things. I can find post vises for $70. the guy I know who has a 100  lb machinist vise wants close to $600 for it. It's a no brainer which one I'd use. Cheap machinist vises are usually more prone to damage than the top end expensive ones, but I'd still opt for a good post vise.

Also, not sure exactly what those fire bricks are sitting on, but I had a similar setup with some 4x6 wood under firebricks for some extra support and after about four hours of forging the heat from the forge had gotten things so hot that the wood was smoldering pretty good. The heat had got through the tiny little gaps in the firebrick and scorched the wood.

That is when I learned that saving a couple pennies by using wood instead of spending a little time fabricating something out of steel for the forge could have burned down my shop. Definitely going to be much more vigilant in the future.