I Forge Iron

250# Fisher

I just bought this 250 pounder. its not in my possesion yet, its coming from NW PA. via my uncle this holiday season. It looks to be in good shape. I just have to clean up the rust a bit. Ill be meeting him in VA at my cousins house and dropping off a loner anvil I have from Mike Tanner.

post-23601-0-99862100-1382481100_thumb.j

I live smack dab in the middle of the Hangingrock Iron region, as a matter of fact the "hanging rock" is three miles down the road from me, along with that and all of the railroad "industry" that used to be in the area I have seen several large anvils still remaining around here. One in particular is a 400# Fisher with the stand, it looks as if it has never been struck, it is just hanging out as a lawn ornament painted flat black! I have stopped several times over the past couple years and I have offered this man stupid money for that anvil but he won't come off it. So I agree with Thomas in saying that not only is the anvil the soul of the smithy, but the anvil itself has a "soul" and any person that uses or has used tools for a living realizes this and there for the anvil is *protected* so to speak. Just my humble opinion

This anvil will definaly be the center piece of my shop. I passed up a Fisher 200# not to long ago for $650 it was a little more than i wanted to pay. Then this anvil came along at $550, not the $1 per pound we all want but a fair price at that. Im pretty excited to get it to my place asap. Do you guys think that its just a casting flaw in the horn, where the steel meet the casting? I have not personally seen the anvil yet.

Wonderful piece you found, and I'm sure you'll appreciate working on it.  Fisher anvils are the best out there!

Price-wise, you did really good.  It might not be that magical uber-cheap price we all dream about finding, but you also got a top-shelf anvil that appears to be in 'as-new' condition.... and that's something of a rarity.  And no outlandish shipping charges!

I can't wait to see her after you've brushed off the rust.

There are no exact production records of total quantity produced.  From their various ads and claims over the years, I have concluded that Fisher(and Crossley) produced between 500,000 and 600,000 anvils from about 1847 to 1979.  They made more anvils than any other company ever did or ever will.  Hay Budden is probably second at almost 300,000.  Peter Wright is probably up there too, but I have never seen any estimate of their production totals.

I do not have any breakdown how many of these were London pattern, sawmakers, or custom designs.  Nor do I have any totals on the double screw vises.  I do have some production records from the 1970's.  These will be in the book eventually.

Just to add a bit of trivia...the anvil with a cast date of 1951 is rare.  I have seen very few anvils with full dates after 1942.  Crossley did date anvil with a full date in 1962, during the transition year.  After that they had a coded date of sorts.  A mix of a letter and the last two digits of the year.

If any one out there has a Fisher anvil with a full year date on it from after 1942, and before 1962, please let me know.  Photographs of the anvil with the date marking would be great.  Thanks.

Eric, those photos just go to prove that I have no reason to like you anymore.  A "near mint" Fisher is something to really appreciate, and you couldn't have asked for a better weight.

Sharp edges, no digs or chips, and a horn that hasn't been touched..... yea, you're officially off my christmas card list!