I Forge Iron

25 ton (Metric) Log splitter converted to Forging press with inter-changable dies

Adam C. ToolSmith

Hey guys i was wondering if I could use something like this to make a forging press, 

I'm able to make dies and what not myself but using one of these could be a little easier than using a power hammer,  Im curious as to what i would need in order to make a hammer with one of these say a 5lbs hammer, would i be able to punch hammer eyes with something like this or not. 

We have a member of our group that has demonstrated his method of making Damascus steel.  He converted a 24 ton log splitter and it works very well.  I do not know how it would work for forging a hammer.  I don't know that it would be very precise.  With the way that the ram is supported, there is some movement between the dies as it comes up to pressure.

Guys have been converting log splitters to forging presses for years now. I'm sure there are pics, maybe videos and probably plans out there on that internet thingy. Finding them may be a trick though.

I'd make a log splitter a convertible in a heartbeat if I had one. We supplement our heat with wood and I like mashing hot steel into submission.

Frosty The Lucky.

Good Morning,

I have been using a Log-Splitter for forging for over 10 years. The quiet Power-Hammer. I made a Log-Slitter with a VW air-cooled 40hp engine hooked up to a Barnes Hi-Low pump. High Volume-Low Pressure, Low Volume-High Pressure. High Volume to move the ram quickly to your work piece, Low volume-High pressure to do the work. I made the I-Beam pivot, so the work table is at 26" high and verticle, It works while sitting down and not straining your back. K.I.C.S. Keep-It-Comfortable-Stupid. When the pressure comes up, everything starts creaking and groaning, It takes a while to get used to the noises. NEVER TAKE HYDRAULIC PRESSURE FOR GRANTED, IT IS A LOADED GUN!!!!!

You can make another cylinder/ram working from the same engine and pump set-up, just put a two-way selector valve in the out-put line. You can have a log-splitter OR a forging press. The same engine and pump.

Enjoy the thought, Be cautious. Hydraulic's is mathmatics. If you have 25 Ton, that equals 50,000 Pounds Per Square Inch. If you are pressing a knife edge, the surface of the knife edge is about 1/10 of an inch. The working load at the knife edge is 250 TON. BE CAREFUL!! If your tooling is not exactly verticle to the push, it will spit it out at the speed of a bullet, in an unknown direction!!

Neil

Guys have been converting log splitters to forging presses for years now. I'm sure there are pics, maybe videos and probably plans out there on that internet thingy. Finding them may be a trick though.

I'd make a log splitter a convertible in a heartbeat if I had one. We supplement our heat with wood and I like mashing hot steel into submission.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, are the quick enough "out of the box" or is there a mod that has to be made to increase the speed?