I Forge Iron

New mobile vise mount

BackyardBlacksmithin

Looks pretty good. If you put a rim around the plate, chisels and other handy doo dads won't fall off. Hammer/wrench/tong, etc. loops are darned handy. With a rim you can make the handled tool loops clip on the rim so you can put them where they're hand at the time.

Oh yeah, the paint thing, be careful you'll have Bob S. on you about painting blacksmithing tools. <wink>

I like it, well done.

Frosty The Lucky.

post-35726-0-50626600-1381122660_thumb.j
This is my little traveling vise I use at demos. It has a rack on the rear for tongs and is also handy as a grab bar when moving it around. On the side is a narrow rack for jigs. I later added a straight hook below the tool rest for items like a twisting wrench or a wire brush.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg
This is my little traveling vise I use at demos. It has a rack on the rear for tongs and is also handy as a grab bar when moving it around. On the side is a narrow rack for jigs. I later added a straight hook below the tool rest for items like a twisting wrench or a wire brush.
Yes I did paint it!

I like it, I think I will do like frosty mentioned and add a rim around the edge to keep stuff from rolling off. Maybe add a hammer rack and a tong rack and a few hooks on the I beam part to hold maybe some files or twisting wrench or something. I got lucky and the lug holes on the semi brake drum fit the leg perfectly so it sits where it was meant to. Should work great for demo's not to mention it will be my regular use vise. I'm just really happy to not have to rely on my goofy little hardy hole mounted vise anymore....

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings Backyard,

Good job on the stand...  If you need more stability just use a 3/4 piece of plywood with some bolt that stick up through the drum holes .. Easy and removable.   Now you can stand on the plywood and use your body weight...     I have several post vise stations..  I posted 2 of my favorite portable ones for your possible next one....  The first is made from an old drill press that  I cut down and moves easy with round bar...  My most favorite is a tripod mount style that has big pads and moves easy with a 2 wheel cart....  It also is designed for the flat side to be clamped to a bench....    I'll bet there are thousands of systems out there..

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

post-30666-0-44322900-1381887654_thumb.j

post-30666-0-93629200-1381887696_thumb.j