I Forge Iron

It followed me home from the freestate.

Razzputin

Well look at my new acquisition from the weekend, It fairly jumped into my hands and for R400 bucks it was a good steal. It was a part of a whole set of stuff that the bloke had from a deceased smith (rest his soul) and was just what I was looking for to start my portable outfit. All I need to do now is find another washingmachine motor for my other blower and ill be set!

13090059.jpg

This thing weighs in at 30kg so its quite light compared to my 60kg brute I use normaly.

13090060.jpg

Here you can see the brand on the forge bowl is millenium.

13090061.jpg

This is where the blower will be mounted and the nice part about it is its adjustable so I can make anything fit in there.

13090062.jpg

I had to dismantle the poor guy to get it home.

13090063.jpg

All the little bits and pieces, thankfully the whole thing was covered in grease which kept almost everything mobile and loosenable.

13090064.jpg

I say almost everything because this little fiend was holding the 4 toed foot at the base and the nut had rusted shut, if you can look closely you can see the bulge around the intersection between the nut and the bolt. There was thankfully just enough space to wedge a hacksaw blade in and start sawing, but woe to me the only blade I could find was from my neighbor and it was almost entirely flat. I counted 20 teeth along the whole length of it, so as you can imagine I stood there for quite a while.

13090065.jpg

What you guys think?

I think that's the neatest forge I've ever seen.  The oblong air entry is certainly unusual, to me, but something I could work with.  The high sides would be great for blocking wind.  The adjustability would be wonderful.

Line the bottom with clay and put her to work!