I Forge Iron

I am looking for a arc welder.

kyotie11

I have 3/32" 6011 at the house and the tech school usually keeps 3/32" 6010 on hand. I've seen 5/64" on rare occasions in some rod types. Off the top of my head I may have seen it in 6011. Lincoln and Hobart both make 6011 in 1/16". I know some places like Harbor freight and Tractor Supply carry it. I can't remember if I've seen it at Sears, Depot or Lowes ( since I generally don't go to box store for my welding supplies) Online Depot lists both a 5/64" rod and 1/16" rod as "fleetweld", but no AWS designation. I can't remember if "Fleetweld" is Lincolns name for their 6011 or if it's the one for their 6013 rod off the top of my head.

Down side of tiny rods like these no matter what the type is that they tend to be super "whippy"  and flexible, and it's often very hard to weld with full length rods. On the rare occasion when I've had to use 1/16" or 5/64" rods, I usually cut them in half, then break off enough flux to grab them with the stinger. The shorter length makes them easier to "aim" accurately even if you have a bit more waste.

6010/11 is not my best rod. I'm also not great at whip and pause using them, so I'm still learning how to manipulate the fast freeze characteristics of these rods. I've had fair results playing with 3/32" 6010/11 on 18 to 22 gauge, just to try it. Given a choice, I'll mig or tig anything this thin for real, but some times that might not always be the case. I've also managed fair results with 1/16" 7018 on the same thickness material. I'm much better at manipulating 7018 than I am 6010/11. I've had decent results running even big 1/8" 7018 on material as low as 16 ga for lap joints ( didn't have any 3/32" or smaller on hand)

I've never used one of the HF flangers. I have one of the manual ones like the Eastwood's one somewhere from years ago when I was trying to do body panels on my old Plymouth. Today I don't generally need to use one, but they do offer an option for those who aren't as skilled at welding thin sheet since it give you more material to weld on. I'm also not a big fan of the open back side that can collect dirt and water flangers leave on auto body work, but that's a different matter.

• 3 years later...

Oh come on those aren't the ONLY jobs fit for them, how about hand scrubbing the downstairs latrine at the prison? Hand weeding poison ivy? 

Truth is I don't think I can think of a fate worse to wish on them than being a spammer already is.

Frosty The Lucky.