I Forge Iron

When it rains big vises, it pours big vises....

Black Frog

So I just got done cleaning up that gorgeous Wilton 800S last night and still tickled and giddy over the deal I got on it. Tonight after work I'm working out in the garage cleaning up some items I'm going to list on CL, an older gent walking his dog who comes through occasionally stops and we chat for a while. Super guy, and I always enjoy talking with him.

He notices that big vise I had all cleaned up and thought that was cool, and I told him that I love big vises! He pauses for a moment and says, "ya know, my friend has a big vise for sale, kinda big like that one. But it is mounted on some big pedestal. He was trying to sell it before he moves later this week. Would you be interested?"

eek.gif

No one knew anything about the make, size, nothing.
I said SURE, let's go take a look!

I came home with a filthy but extremely nice shape Rock Island No.86 6" vise mounted on a massive I-beam and plate steel constructed pedestal.

$80.

RIvise.jpg

I can't find any info on a Rock Island No.86 vise.  I has the pivoting rear jaw too.

I'll dismantle her this next week for a thorough inspection and cleaning.

I was wanting a pedastal base, and for $80 I probably couldn't get close to that with materials/time/effort.

I keep finding deals I just can't turn down....

This vise has the pivoting rear jaw. It is missing the tapered lock pin, and the jaw seems rusted in place. I think it is worth restoring and getting that jaw un-stuck, and making a new tapered pin. Other than being old and somewhat rusty, the vise is in great shape.

Greetings Frog,

Yet another great find...  I have one and so does a friend of mine...  Hers was froze too and we found it was easy to free it up with some juice and a hand propane torch ..   I think you will find that the pin is not tapered .  Both of ours are straight pins... ( a small taper to start that's all )

Forge on and make beautiful things...

Jim

That is a cool vise,   The Wilton 800S though is something special.    I only know of a few out in the world (I have one and my pop has one and a few others)    With a retail price of over five grand and the "good guy" deal still three grand there are not a lot of them getting sold either.

Congrats!   You'll have to start a big vise display :-)

For the last several days, every time I passed by the garage I would give it another PB Blaster soak all around the rear jaw.
Today with two heavy dead blow hammers, one in each hand , one hitting the side of the jaw and the other on rear part on the opposite side of the rotation point, I saw a hair of movement! With encouragement like that, I did more soaking and pounding, and reversing the direction each hint of movement.

Finally! After cleaning and oiling, she is tight-fitted but can move it easily.

RIvise2.jpg

This RI vise does indeed use (or did use) a tapered pin.

Here's the tapered hole on the top:

RIvise3.jpg

Looks like the tapered hole is a bit buggered up down in the body. 
Not sure what happened, if someone tried pounding a straight pin in there or what.
Hole isn't perfectly round either, sort of oblong.

RIvise4.jpg

What to do now?  I want to make a new tapered pin and restore the vise.
I'm thinking re-taper the entire thing larger in the machine shop, and cut a tapered pin to match....

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings oh lucky one, ( Frog)

All you have to do if it is tapered is forge a 5/8 round bar to a sharp taper..   Keep cutting of the end until it fits...  Lightly hammer in .... remove.... file off the scruft marks on the taper until it fits...    Just like fitting a hardie..

Good luck

Forge on and make beautiful things

Nice idea Jim!

But I dont' think the pictures show the scale of the vise very well....  That hole on top is almost 1" in diameter.  The bottom of the tapered hole is almost 7/8".

I like the idea of forming a pin to the hole, but I think the problem is that the hole has been deformed badly with a ledge in there, and also to an oval form.

For a pin to fit that, it would have to be an indexed pin that goes in the same orientation each time.

I think I'd rather put in the effort in the shop with tapered reamer and enlarge the hole a bit and get a fresh (smooth) taper.

Then the tapered pin could be plopped in however you like without worrying about getting the right orientation to provide a good solid fit.

More work required, but I think it'll be worth it to get the vise in nice shape for the next 100yrs.  :)

Greetings again Frog,

I'll share my thoughts....   If you make a perfect fitting pin what's to stop it from locking in ...   MT style taper...    If it was mine I would consider a looser fitting pin..  The head will flex and when you tighten the vise you might jam a close fitting pin... I would allow a clearance at the round part to compensate for jaw closure and flex when locking the vise...   The pin only serves as a sheer not a hold down..   My thoughts on a forged pin are not through the eyes of a machinist.  Knowing you it will be repaired to a .00000001  tolerance ..  LOL

Have fun

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Good thoughts Jim! Always enjoy reading them.
To keep the pin from locking in, I'll put a threaded knob on top.
If it gets stuck, simply remove the knob and use a collar tube, large washer, and a bolt to form a simple puller to pop the pin out.

I'm motivated on this to make it pretty now.... ;-)

• 5 months later...

Just bringing this back with an update to the project.
I got tired of this thing being taken apart and in my way for months, and finally motivated to do something about it.

To remove enough material from the distorted/buggered tapered hole, I had to go with a MT#3 reamer to get past the buggeredness.
RIvise5.jpg

I setup a MT#3 shaft in the lathe, and carefully indicated the compound to match the angle. 
I turned some 1/2-13 threads on top of the plug for easy removal if neccessary, then made a protective knob to cover the threads.
RIvise6.jpg

I'm quite happy with how my tapered pin matches the MT#3 hole. 
I can feel no slop at all, and just letting the pin "thunk" in with gravity locks it tightly.
To remove the pin, I have a collar/washer/nut to pop it free easily.
RIvise7.jpg

I think she's ready for another 100 years of service.
RIvise8.jpg