I Forge Iron

More stuff from horseshoes

Teebs

I have a large box of new horseshoes that I was given for real cheap. Our horses are barefoot and don't wear shoes so I am finding things to make from them. I really like working with them as they are so low carbon and very malleable. All 3 of these designs were "borrowed" from pics on this site and I hope no one minds! This was the first rose I have made and I think it turned out well, my wife loves it.

post-29745-0-23131600-1378671668_thumb.j

post-29745-0-98255100-1378671693_thumb.j

post-29745-0-13477400-1378671713_thumb.j

Sweet, looking forward to what else you come up with.  Really like the heart and rose, both are very clean looking.  Lately I've been busy turning old files into various types of knives, and for the first time finally forge welded.  Took a piece of scrap leftover from a file and welded it into the end of a RR spike for what will be a spike hawk.  Also had a guy ask me to make a spear head for him, said he wanted it for hogs and hay bales.

jimsShip, I used a set of laser cut petals that I bought from kayne & sons.... So it was kinda cheating :-) what I did was trace them before I used them and I intend to make my own out of sheet metal or copper from now on.

Dcraven, I will post more pics as I come up with some more ideas, would like to see if you have any new ones.
Njanvilman, I thought I had a large box that's about 75 lbs, you could make a full size sculpture!

I picked up 8 boxes of new shoes at a garage sale, and about 11 kegs of shoes 15 years ago. 

Looking good! I do have one suggestion for hoof picks though, they really need a horse head w/mane to make them complete. <wink?

Somewhere I have new and some old horse shoes. I don't show horses but seems when folk find out you blacksmith they assume you NEED horse shoes. I've made some trivets, mail racks, wall hooks, garden tool hooks, etc. and a couple door latches. Just nothing worth a pic.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...