I Forge Iron

brass rivets?

Alright guys, so I went back to the gentlemans house that was kind enough to give me the big William Foster anvil, just to chat and see if I could help him with anything.  Well he didnt need help with any tasks, so I asked if I could make something for him as a gift, since he gave me a great gift.  He said he didnt need anything he didnt already have but went inside and brought his wife back out, we chatted for a couple of minutes and I posed the same question to her, so she thought on it and asked if I could make her something to mount to the kitchen wall to hang a few pots and pans on since, she said her back bothers her alot and she hated having to bend over and retrieve them from under the stove.  So i told her that it would not be a problem to make a hanger for her and asked how many pans she wanted to be able to hang and she said that three would be fine.  So i have the design drawn and made the hooks for it today, and I am going to make a couple nice mounting brackets for it with some scrolls and I plan on attaching the semi-circle rod onto the brackets with rivets instead of welding them on, but I really want to make the rivets out of some bearing brass that I have been saving, do you think that rivets made from brass would be strong enough to hold up 3 or 4 pans?   Thanks in advance, Nank

Brass rivets will be plenty strong even if she hangs cast iron. I'm thinking I'd make it just a little larger than a 3 pan hanger, say 4 or 5. Nothing extravagant, just a little bit more than she asked for. did you get a look at where she wants to hang it? It'd be good to know if you have room and how much, 4 might be all that fits and I'm thinking might be just the right extra.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah I looked at where she wants it, to make sure she had access to studs in the wall, but the space is small and I am only going to be able to make it 32 inches in width, so to supplement for the smaller hanger I think I will make a couple extra longer hooks so she can hang some pans lower then the others?

That might not be as nice in their eyes. This is really hard to say, women can be mighty particular. Will the hooks be attached or slip over a flat bar? If they can be moved I'd iclude an extra hook or two, say one like the others and one long one that way the lady of the house can decide.

It's a tough call but given a choice I'm uncertain about I go with what the customer wants unless it's a clear hazard.

Frosty The Lucky.

"...Frosty talking about double hangers..."

Double-hooks are always a good idea.  They allow the user to hang pots face-to-face, doubling the effective rack space, but also allow them to use one hook for a ladle or the like.  It gives them options that a single hook doesn't and, I think, looks better than a single hook looped over a piece of flat stock.

As for the rivets, I think the brass will look very nice in contrast with the steel.  It will give it a bit of class, and you might want to consider giving the hooks a bit of brass on the finials to tie it all together.  A quick wipe with a brash brush while the metal's at a black heat.....

The size of the rivet's head is going to play a factor in how the project looks;  it will become a focal point for the eye.  Depending on the size of your stock, the piece might look more interesting if you used two rivets together.  On the diagonal, maybe, or maybe three smaller rivets in a triangular formation.  Lots of options.  Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Thanks for the input guys, it means a lot, I like the triangular rivets idea, and I didn't know that using a brass brush on the hot steel would leave some brass behind! I will definitely give that a try, and my stock size is 1/2 inch so I will be working it down to the desired size for the rivets. I hope to have it done by Friday so I can drop it off/hang it if they want me to Saturday, I will post pics when I can! Thanks again gentlemen

Sorry gentlemen , I'm working on this project, slowly but surely! I have all of the black metal pretty much where I want it now I just need to work my brass down to the proper rivet size, the only experience I have with brass is on a lathe or milling machine so I hope I don't ruin a pretty piece of metal ;)