I Forge Iron

Rusty Coat Rack

Prokopto

Okay it's been a while since I posted any work. I've been really busy with other things that have kept me out of the forge. Today I played out there all day. Here is a coat rack that I made from pieces of an old wagon that was made in the late 19th century by Moline. The strapping U used for the backing was so rusted  I nearly left it in the woods where I salvaged the wagon glad I kept them. The board was hand hewn and hand planed from a maple tree that blew down on my property.

T'was fun to make.
post-14234-0-39447300-1377391089_thumb.jpost-14234-0-22240700-1377391104_thumb.j

Excellent use for that bit of rusty metal, and amazing to see how the metal corroded in such an interesting way.  Almost reminds me of something Japanese.

Getting the old and the new to match, to look right together, is always a pain.  I think you did a great job of making the hooks look like they were supposed to be there, and that backer board really makes the whole thing pop.

Excellent use for that bit of rusty metal, and amazing to see how the metal corroded in such an interesting way.  Almost reminds me of something Japanese.

Getting the old and the new to match, to look right together, is always a pain.  I think you did a great job of making the hooks look like they were supposed to be there, and that backer board really makes the whole thing pop.

Thanks!

ooh, lovely rusty bit of metal!! Nice job of making something useful out of junk!! I got some square bar stock from a local engineering firm a while back very cheaply as it was quite rusty and pitted, gave a really beautiful texture when it was twisted!!!

• 2 weeks later...