I Forge Iron

Anvil object wanted to buy England Sussex

Keep an eye on Ebay, there are pleanty of anvils around for fairly reasonable prices.  I don't know what your budget is but you can get yourself a very nice anvil from ebay for less than £150.  Check in with local salvage yards too, I found my anvil at a salvage yard in Kent, not too far from Sussex a few months ago, sold as a 2cwt (224lb) anvil, it was actually stamped 4cwt (448lb) when I'd got it home and cleaned it up!  That yard had a few other anvils that i saw while wandering around but the prices were a bit steep on them in my opinion.

Anyway, good luck,

Simon.

Almost any thing can serve as an anvil, large rocks, my son's head(his mother is always saying his is hard as iron) but cut offs of say 4"x4" or 4"dia. steel should work well for and anvil just so long as you have about 50 to 75 pounds of weight to go with it, use the end of it and you will have suitable mass under the hammer for good forging. And don't buy a new piece of steel as it will cost more than a good used anvil.