I Forge Iron

New...(I am reading but have a few "dumb" questions)

Perfect beginner projects. Use 4 of them to make two pair of tongs, one box tong fitted to RR spikes the other a "V" bit bolt tong to hold a spike around the head. Of course you can make them into a pair of cup tongs, just bend the head flat for the bits.

Then of course you can progress into a RR spike hold fast so you can start carving wizard heads. Of course they'd make BIG honkin drive hooks, suitable for hanging such things as . . . ponies, obnoxious neighborhood kids, motor cycles, etc.

Frosty The Lucky.

Do you have a stand for the anvil? My first projects were done on a piece of RR track horizontally on the ground. Yes it worked but jumped all over the place, very inefficient and my knees hurt the next day.

I used rebar for a poker n fire rake. You could draw the spikes out but on your setup it's a lot of work. Its a lot on a traditional anvil. Definitely first tools you need though, as well as tongs.

Check out your local library.   Mine had a very nice and lengthy training video on CD. Price = Free.

Not to mention a few books.

As for tools make your own.   But of course you need something to start with.  I used extra long skinny vice grips as my first tongs and a 3lb cross pein hammer from home depot.

I splurged big time on my first anvil after buying the 55lb anchor from Harbor Freight.

Making an anvil could be a lot of things.   I punched in "primitive Blacksmithing" in youtube and this popped up.   THe anvil seems reasonably solids here.   And if I am not mistaken that is a Railroad piece of metal??

I don't have a stand for my anvil yet guys. but Friday morning I am making a trip into town and if I don't have one at that point im sure I could rig something up. I probably should make a poker and rake. How(what kind if any) would I finish those? Or would I leave them unfinished.

• 2 weeks later...

start here:

just wanted to give you a quick idea of where that path usually leads.  there are a few more intricate sliding versions and butterfly valve-like installations too but I cant remember what to search for to dredge them up.

basically you want any kind of device or setup that allows you to partially obstruct or divert the blast as a means of controlling how much flow actually makes it into the firepot.  methinks if you try and use your ash dump as your flow control it will be less efficient and start to blow ash all over the place at the same time :)