I Forge Iron

Carved hammer handle.

I've been wanting to mess with some carving, and finally put my hand to it with this. I decided a hammer handle was a good canvas to mess with, cause it's cheap, and similar shaped to a knife handle.   Plus, if it worked, spiffy hammers are the way to go! 

So, I carved it out with a small wood chisel I forged and my dremel. Cleaned it up with some sandpaper, and dyed it black, backsanded it, and re-dyed it brown.

DSC09305_zps0e5f009f.jpg

DSC09306_zpsacd6f442.jpg

That's good work, and you'll only get better as you continue.  Celtic knotwork would look spectacular on a hammer handle!

The only downside is that a rough handle is hard on the hands.  I wouldn't do much carving on the handle of a working tool unless blisters are something you like.

Well, I rarely have blister issues. And I purposely put the carving on my finger side and not the palm side, so my hope was that I shouldn't end up with blister problems (that was the plan at least)....  I haven't had a chance to really put it through it's paces yet.  We'll see!  :D

I'll let ya'll know how it works.

You will be the first to know how it works out for you after you do a fair amount of hammering with it. You may not have a problem, I think I wouldn't care for it, even though it looks good on your hammer.

I know I've already chipped in on this thread but it would be impossible to do something to JUST the finger side of my handles, my hammers have two sides, a face and a pein and I use both. Still, I'm thinking a little skrimshaw would be cool and it just occured to me I might know someone with an old tatoo gun they don't use anymore. Hmmmmmm.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...

I can see you allowing a newbee to use your scrimshaw handled hammer. Yep...making replacement handles could be everyday.

Carry on

You have a point David, the way new guys go through handles I might develop a new skill, especially if tattoo guns work. I BET it'll be darned easy to guess what Danger Dillon would be decorating his hammer handles with.

OOH OOH! I just now thought of another handle ID technique,  do them up like Easter eggs! We could have PRETTY hammer handles!

Frosty The Lucky.