I Forge Iron

Information on Rockwood Anvils?

So this is my first post but here goes. 

So today my mother was brought an anvil from one of her customers who owns a scrap yard after asking if they had anything of the type. I've been looking to purchase my first anvil for about 3 months now and now I have two (the other being a 100lb Fisher that I bought last Friday).  She doesn't know much about anvils and neither did the person selling it. He offered it to her for the rate that he could sell it for scrap (10 cent a pound) because they are good friends, but she gave him $30 for it. Its right at 55lbs and has a decent ring to it, so everyone is very happy.  It is stamped Rockwood on the side but thats a brand I've never heard of and I couldn't find any info on it on the web. So basically I'm wondering if anybody knows anything about the band or what it is made of. Pics attached. 

post-42941-0-77674000-1372737254_thumb.j

post-42941-0-57526100-1372737507_thumb.j

post-42941-0-95797200-1372737827_thumb.j

post-42941-0-61981500-1372737968_thumb.j

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. Please put your general location in the header, you'll be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance and NOTHING tightens the learning curve like face time with experienced smiths.

I don't know anything about the little anvil but it looks to be in fine shape. It looks to be cast from the bottom of the foot. I'd be clearing a space over one of the legs on my bench for it's new home. @ 55lbs. it's perfect for a bench anvil. The Fisher looks good too and will serve you and your grand children well.

Frosty The Lucky.

Postman's AIA on page 225 lists Rockwood anvils under various makes of cast steel anvils. He said they weigh about 65 pounds, and the face does not appear to be finished or heat treated. The pic in the book looks to be the same as yours.

Just updated my location Frosty and thanks for the info Black Frog. I know cast steel is supposed to be good but what does it mean that the face isn't finished or heat treated? How does that affect how I take care of it / use it?