I Forge Iron

Hello From Alaska!

AKghandi

Hi, my name is Adam, and I live in the great state of Alaska.

I'm interested in learning smiting, as I appreciate all crafts. such as wood working, metal working, leather working, and mechanics.

Unfortunately, I have almost no tools for either wood or metal working. so for now I'm just going to lurk the forum and learn as much as I can about everything I can until I can gain some more tools, and a place to use them.

A little more about me, I'm 19, AK born and raised always had a love for working on cars and sharp things. I have an unquenchable thirst for knowledge, though I could honestly care less about some of the things they teach at school. I'd rather learn how to make things and fix things. I have many many interests, and blacksmithing is just one.

Once I get some more money I plan on making myself a couple knives, something along the lines of a pukko leuku combo for when I go out bushcrafting.

If you work on cars, or other vehicles, you have everything you need except fuel. The heater fan can supply the air, a wheel rim the forge, and the car the metal. Wood will work as fuel, and you should have enough pallets, scrap wood, or trees available to make charcoal for the fuel.

Now that you have no excuses left, look at >this thread  or the >55 Forge thread under forges > solid fuel on the site. Learn what can be used and how and get started. Read the entire site starting with the sections that interest you. It is like an encyclopedia of information written by those that make things, whether it be projects, tools, or machines. 

We suggest you pack a lunch and a cold drink before you enter the site. (grin) Welcome to IFI

Welcome aboard Adam, glad to have you. How mobile are you? I'm in the Valley, just the other side of Wasilla and am always looking for playmates. Right now I'm prepping for Art on Fire, next Saturday the 29th. At the Museum of Alaska Transportation and Industry just past Wasilla on the Parks Highway a bit before you get to the airport on Airport road, there are signs. The Association of Alaskan Blacksmiths will be there, next to the locomotives if I get there early enough to choose the spot. It's a good event an the big show is the iron pour but there's smithing, raku pottery glazing, glass lamp work and some others I'm not sure of.

PM me if you want contact info or just give me a shout, we can get together most days and beat innocent steel into submission.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks guys! As far as the rim forge and steel, I am aware that I can build that, but I live in a condo. and my neighbors wouldn't take too kindly to that kind of thing..

Thanks for the offer Frosty, I'm actually very mobile.. If only I had enough gas to make it out there. yes that's a lifted subaru wagon, one of two that I own:)

img0010kug.jpg

I was actually at the museum of transportation and industry last weekend at the AK4x4 meet and greet. Unfortunately I wasn't there in my subaru, I was elbow deep in a transmission swap at the time. I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it out there next saturday but if I do I'll let you know.

I'd love to come out and beat some metal with you :)

Cool, hope to see you next weekend. I'll be set up with the bed of a silver Chevy Silverado as my bench/shelf/ lunch box. Just ask one of the guys beating hot iron. I'll be there or right back.

Frosty The Lucky.

Good to hear from another Anchorage guy. Love the lift kit.
I don't have much spare time for cars but appreciate the "art".
The group has a quarterly meeting and a knife class coming up.
Knife class $100 on 7-13-13
Meeting is on the following weekend and is free for visitors.

Cool, I'm not sure i'f I'll be able to make it, but I'll sure try. good to see another alaskan here :)