I Forge Iron

Questions on Fisher anvil logo's

So I am really in the market for an anvil ( who you may ask is not ) And this being my first big anvil and living in the 'burbs. I am looking for a Fisher. I have searched and learned quite a lot but can someone tell me the diffrences between raised and embossed logos? As well is there a mark for weight? By the way I would not turn my nose at any other quality anvils and am aware there are ways to quiet them down but the term "city anvil" has a nice ring to it. Tanx for your help

The bigger the groan the better the pun.;)

Josh Kavett has founded a Fisher & Norris museum in Farmingdale, New Jersey. He is knowledgeable about the history and markings on the anvils.

Sayings and Cornpone

"Avoid seething masses of humanity."

Some of my father's advice before I left home.

The Fisher logo is cast so it projects from the side of the anvil.  I don't know any anvils with embossed logos the other type being incised or stamped into the side of the anvil rather than embossed

I can't recall any anvils that would be confused with the Fisher logo.

Now the Vulcan and Arm and Hammer brands do have similar logos with the Vulcan's being cast so it stands proud of the side of the anvil and the Arm and Hammer logo being stamped into the side of the anvil

The first Fisher logo was a round, slightly protruding Eagle with shives of wheat.  That was in the 1860's.

The second was a round, protruding Eagle on an anchor.  This logo was from approx. 1870 to 1880.  This is my personal favorite.

The third logo was two different size square logos of the Eagle with the anchor, but were indented into the anvil.  These were from approx 1880 to 19??.

Note that some small anvils had a small protruding Eagle at the same time as the square logo.

Some anvils from these eras had no logo, but were marked with the Fisher name.

The anvil you mention from Ebay with the square logo and the P was from appox 1880.  I have two of that type in the collection.

Fisher anvils are terrific.  Try to find one with a good flat face, and minimal chipping on the working edge.

And if you are ever in NJ, ping me for a visit.  You can study Fisher anvils for hours.  (Yes, my book will be done someday, with all of this explained and illustrated in it)

My Fisher. I like the raised logo vs. the punched. And I like this one 'cause its mine! :D

Your anvil has the round Eagle and lugs, which puts its origin after 1892.  Is there a date on the sloping part under the heel?  It is probably from the 1920's.  Not all of the anvils made in that era had dates.

I have in the museum the bronze stamp that put the imprint into the clay for your logo.

Thanx Vaughn, Mr. Kavett, There is a date mark and its from 1906. Everything I have been told about the Fisher anvil is the truth, great rebound with a muted ring..not even a ring more of a knock. This one has a bit of use at the shoulders but is near straight flat. I am basking in its Anvilness :P  Finding the die for the form now that is cool. Did you just come by it? Or did somebody know what they had and have it for sale?

Anvilman,

Is it common for an anvil to have; Fisher & Norris Trenton, stamped on the side?

The anvils that have the stampings of the name, Trenton, and sometimes "cast steel" are amongst the earliest Fishers out there.  They did that in the late1850's and early 1860's.  No, they are not common.  They had to survive their varied history for 150+ years.

The anvils that have the stampings of the name, Trenton, and sometimes "cast steel" are amongst the earliest Fishers out there.  They did that in the late1850's and early 1860's.  No, they are not common.  They had to survive their varied history for 150+ years.

njanvilman;

Thank you sir for your quick reply. I was curious about that because my Fisher & Norris has the Trenton tag. I acquired this from an elderly friend who gave it to me. He asked his sons if they wanted it first. Neither of them wanted so it is mine. Here are a couple pics.

post-26204-0-87509800-1372614854_thumb.j

post-26204-0-88007800-1372614872_thumb.j

• 6 years later...