I Forge Iron

Carpal tunnel issues

john collins

I been diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome and wondering if anyone out there has experience in managing this condition. From the research Ive done it seems that surgery is the only option with a track record but that not even 100% and Im not to keep on someone cutting open my wrists...

symptoms progressively weakening grip, tingling in fingers, hand pain getting worse 

Any insights/opinions/shared experience   much appreciated.

John Collins

I have it too, done a lot of hammering, the worst of it from repousse/chasing though, lots of short whipping strokes have done me in and that has only been in the last 5 years. The other 40 years of heavy forging didn't seem to contribute much to the problem it seems. Some folk are more prone to it than others. Using the wrist braces seems to help at night as it keeps the hand and wrist from curling up in the normal relaxed sleep mode. I have also developed another problem that is bothering my hands, both of them, not just my dominate. One idiot doctor wanted to operate on both wrists but she was wrong, it's my neck that's the problem, between C-7 and T-1 there is a nerve that is being impinged when I lay down that cause the most of my night time tingling and numbness, sure is an aggravation, so I need surgery there too beside my right wrist. I've been through the physical therapy and braces for both wrist and neck so now it time for the knife, not looking forward to that at all, however there is an endoscopic method that is supposed to get you back to work faster with less complications than the old open incision. I just don't know if it is covered under my insurance. Oh well, good luck with you procedure and I'll be praying for you.

A blacksmith friend of mine who is also a doctor, told me that a good way to prevent this is to wrap a small elastic band around your fingertips, and then repeatedly spread your fingers apart. This way you exercise the muscles that counteract the ones that are used for gripping. do this regularly, and tune the strength of the elastic band to your muscle strength. Initially, you will want a very thin rubber band.

I got carpal tunnel over 20 yrs ago from smithing. The braces do help at night to keep your hands from falling asleep. A couple of old smiths told me to use B6 & Magnesium. Within a few weeks of 600 to 800mgs of B6 & about 400mgs of Mag, I was finally getting some relief. Talk to a good health vitamin store about how many mgs to use plus they directed me to capsules instead of tablets for better absorption. I smith part time & continue to take them daily to keep it under control.
I do not know of many success stories after wrist surgery. Unless you take up a new trade where you don't use your hands to the extreme. I have recently heard about KT tape. Like the volleyball players used on the olympics. I use it on my shoulder at times & their website shows it can be used for wrists & elbows too. Along with adjusting height of anvil, stance, hammer size & grip, I hope you find some relief. I thing I will try the rubber band exercise too. I know these vitamins are keeping me hammering!!

Jim
Arctic Anvil
Anchorage Alaska

The only time I had carpal tunnel problems was when I was a rod buster- worked with rebar in construction.  I had no feeling from elbow to finger tips on my right arm.  It got better after several months of not twisting wire.

I got the surgery in both hands at once. Doc and nurses said I'd be good as new in a week. Two weeks later I could still barely buckle my belt. Was a month before I could function okay at work and a year before I felt fully recovered. But that was probably ten years ago and I haven't had any problems since. My arms get tired quickly when I swing a hammer but that may have no relevance to these issues. kind of glad I bit the bullet and got it done at this point.

. A couple of old smiths told me to use B6 & Magnesium. Within a few weeks of 600 to 800mgs of B6 & about 400mgs of Mag, I was finally getting some relief. Talk to a good health vitamin store about how many mgs to use plus they directed me to capsules instead of tablets for better absorption.
Jim
Arctic Anvil
Anchorage Alaska

I would be wary of this advice as a dose of over 200mg per day of B6 over long periods can be potentially toxic. 

The rubber band exercise is one that has been recommended to me also, and is a good one. 

Macbruce has the best idea.

Jawno, the docs who advised you that you would be right in a week should be sued for malpractice, clearly a two inch slice through your hand opening up a ligament takes more than a week to heal, and even longer for strength to return.

(btw, I've had the surgery and it was successful).