I Forge Iron

Question on steel anvil stand

I would like to make a steel anvil stand from some square tube from my scrap pile. I have plenty of 6" x 6" x 1/4" steel tube and plenty of 3" x 4" x 1/4" steel tube. I don't know if I should do a post style bolted to the shop floor or do the tripod style. What is the best choice of material(s) to fill the tube(s) with to dampen sound (oil, oil/sand, compressed air?). Below is a pic of the 2 anvils (160# peter wright and a 120# WBB)

post-28025-0-84663500-1371444217_thumb.j

I just finished my new anvil stand using 2" sq. sched 80 from a rem bin a friend secures and my other stand is 2x3" sched 80 and has been serving to my satisfaction for probably 13 years now. both have quieted my anvils considerably, do to having different resonant frequencies than the anvils so harmonics damp. Each stand has a hammer and a tong hanger that acts as wedges to keep the anvils secure.

I don't know about making a pipe pillar anvil stand, I had my Soderfors on a wood block till a couple weeks ago when I changed it to a steel stand. I don't see a steel pipe pillar as being functionally a lot different than a wood bock stand. Probably a lot more foot room which I like. Damping the ring will come in two parts:First, the steel pipe will have a different resonant frequency than the anvil so they'll self damp. Then filling it with sand should really damp any harmonics. I'd like to see one and hear how it works.

The only down side to a pipe pillar stand would be portability in use. I frequently grab my anvil and reposition it during a session.

I can't think of a reason one would be a lot different than the other. I'm sure I'd learn to love a pipe pillar stand, at worst might take a little getting used to.

Frosty The Lucky.

Good looking anvils!

I went with a tripod stand built from drops which I welded.  I typically stand behind the anvil so I decided to mount it with the two legs forward.  The legs are filled with sand and oil to quiet noise & prevent rust.  The anvil is sits on a layer of caulk, then wood in a steel tray, which then has more sand.  I welded some steel mesh under the leg supports and put some of my hardy tools underneath.  I've been pleased with the setup.

post-34362-0-31415000-1371487794_thumb.j

My 3 leg anvil stands are made of ofn-hand material ... some are tubing and othere are 2X2X1/4 angle iron. All work equally well. The steel stand is quiet because it disrupts the acoustic resonance(s) of the anvil setting on it as long as it is well connected. I use RTV (Room temperature Vulcanizing Rubber) from my local hardware store between the anvil and the stand. The different legs seem to make no difference. I have three 110 kilo anvils that have been in use 10 years with no issues.

I like to add hardy tool holders under the horn and a rotating tray near the tail for other tools as well.

I definitely recommend a tripod stand because you never know when you'll want to move the anvil.

If you have a large piece of tubular stock, you can use it as a "box" stand and backfill it.

If you do use tube stock, even if it's for the legs of a tripod, be sure to fill those tubes with an oil-sand mix to dampen the sound and prevent rusting from the inside out.  Definitely worth your time.