I Forge Iron

New line of tactical tomahawks

I was excited to see a post from you on top of the recent threads list, and you have again delivered an outstanding piece(s)!  i did not see in the description the final weight of the different lengths (id imagine the difference in poll style would be negligible).  Are you making these available to civilian/casual consumers?  can you share your pricing with us as well? (genuinely interested, not just trolling)

as a side note, you should look into pairing your waterjet runs on the hawks with a similar volume of knives, lot of good blade stock left in between the hawk cutouts :) may also be potential to squeeze them together a little tighter with a different layout. (i do a lot of autocad, sorry for analyzing :P)

question regarding the sheathing as well, if the customer were to put a paracord wrap on the 18" version to cover from the top of the micarta up to the bottom of the head would that interfere with the operation of the sheath?  i look at the 18" and can envision myself adopting a high/low grip in some cases and grabbing a narrow bar of 1/4" sounds less than comfortable, so the wrapping provides some cushion and an excellent hardpoint for some emergency cordage.

similarly, the 18" trainer looks like its got the full micarta handle thickness for the entire length, as opposed to the real one which does not, this could potentially change how the piece handles when graduating to the real deal. (i really did not want to put that line in, but i felt it would be more disservice to ignore a potential comment than to include it)

thank you for sharing, truely excellent work!  looking forward to a tough decision of size and style  :D

Thank you!

Per questions from various folks, here are a couple of pictures showing the point of balance on long and short versions:

pob1_zpsee47156f.jpg

pob2_zps50969c76.jpg

And some measurements.  The blades are 2 13/16" from point to point.  The hammer poll heads are 6 3/16" long, and both the pry spike and the combat spike heads are 7 5/16" long.

I am away from my shop for a few days and don't access to a scale to weigh them, but will do so when I can.

They're priced in the middle of the decent 'hawks already on the market, between the ATC LaGana 'hawk and the RMJ Eagle Talon. I have more invested in materials and cutting the blanks than some of the popular cheap 'hawks sell for, though. biggrin.png   I'll PM you a specific price.

I do have plans for the space in between the tomahawk blanks.  We can load this sheet back onto the cutting table and cut again.

We'll have to see how the sheaths turn out, but I don't think it would be a problem.  The corners on the tang have been lightly beveled so that grabbing it won't be as uncomfortable as it might be otherwise.  As for the trainers, they're always going to be a little different from the real thing.  They're lighter, for one thing.  :)

They look really good.

That short one has that top hole at a real bad stress point if you are using it as a wrecking bar; For the shorties I'd go with two holes and place them more toward the haft.

Not an alloy I'd use for knives; but lots of other stuff you can cut out of it that the alloy would be just right for.

How did the show go?

Thomas - I'll beat on my prototype with a sledgehammer and see if the hole placement is any issue.

The show went well.  Sales were comparable to last year and I made some good dealer contacts.  Very much enjoyed having my sweetheart along this time.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally go a chance to weigh the 'hawks.  I found that whether it had a hammer poll or a spike didn't change the weight much; the length did.

The short ones are around 25 ounces, and the long ones are around 30 to 31 ounces.

postblade9_zpsc6fad418.jpg

postblade10_zpsbeaa2d93.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...