I Forge Iron

New Forge design

123samic

Looks decent, though I would remind you that nothing about the forge needs to be metal other than the pot and table.  The legs and support structure can very easily be made from pressure-treated lumber scraps that you find at construction sites!

30x40 is a good general table size, though I might like a few inches longer just for storage room.  A lot depends on what you plan on making and where you plan on using the forge.  

If you have an open-air outside area, I wouldn't worry too much about a hood and chimney unless you don't have any shade.  If that's the case, I'd definitely want a hood so I could see the truer color of the hot metal.  The chimney is certainly nice for getting a bunch of the smoke up and away from you even if you are working outside.

Why are you spending so much time and effort and reinventing the wheel when simply a few scrounged parts and a Saturday in the shop will build you a great forge

Dale

First No disrespect to you Dale just happened to be your post.

I have seen statements like this through out the forum a lot.

Why do any of us spend so much time on things when you can go to a shop and buy something that will do the job.

In my humble opinion it is because we strive to improve, or to make items to suit our needs and wants.

Think of all the time and effort that has gone into a hammer. I have seen a lot of discussion on here about hammers and the how to improve on what they had to start with.

I think that 123samic is only trying to improve on the table to suit his needs, as we all do with things that we make.

I have buit all of my own 3 forges. I copied a basic unit then modified it to what I had available. My first forge has been modified now to a long blade forge (24" of blade can be heated all at once). I have my main forge also which is a basic unit, and I have my portable forge that drops down to like a flat pack & only takes a couple of minutes to put together. Out of the 3 each has it advantages.

So I say good on people who reinvent things, they will have set backs and find ways not to do things, but that is how we progress, improve and grow. Only a fool doesn't learn from what others have done before them though, so look at other builds listen to what people say, use other peoples knowledge to get to where you want to go.

Peter

First No disrespect to you Dale just happened to be your post.

I have seen statements like this through out the forum a lot.

Why do any of us spend so much time on things when you can go to a shop and buy something that will do the job.

In my humble opinion it is because we strive to improve, or to make items to suit our needs and wants.

Think of all the time and effort that has gone into a hammer. I have seen a lot of discussion on here about hammers and the how to improve on what they had to start with.

I think that 123samic is only trying to improve on the table to suit his needs, as we all do with things that we make.

I have buit all of my own 3 forges. I copied a basic unit then modified it to what I had available. My first forge has been modified now to a long blade forge (24" of blade can be heated all at once). I have my main forge also which is a basic unit, and I have my portable forge that drops down to like a flat pack & only takes a couple of minutes to put together. Out of the 3 each has it advantages.

So I say good on people who reinvent things, they will have set backs and find ways not to do things, but that is how we progress, improve and grow. Only a fool doesn't learn from what others have done before them though, so look at other builds listen to what people say, use other peoples knowledge to get to where you want to go.

Peter

No offense taken, but if one can  building something on the fly such as I did, the "plan" changes as build progresses...  I believe in the fact that one can adapt  a design to fit his needs to what one has available in a somewhat limit source of supply....  I did not plan to build a coal/brake drum forge in beginning, I was  experimenting  with making gas burners for a gas fired forge when I happened by a pile of junk where that  had a old gas water heater and some old furnaces, while I was intent on salvaging burners if they were adaptable I also realized junk pile also had the old gas BBQ and buried down in pile was brake drum.... Didn't take but a few second to completely change directions and concieve a plan for forge... Mental picture/plan of forge came blinding fast and didn't even need to put it on paper it was so simple... Construction followed only a couple days behind  .... I guess my point is why spend hours engineering  something and spend hours laboring over it if something that is quite acceptable may be sitting there staring you in the face, IE: Gas grill cart.... Now I am on the lookout for another gas grill base (many are not acceptable due to cheap construction) and am thinking of using plow disk as bowl similar to open hearth forge...

Gas burner is still on shelf, propane tank and regulator in now in storage and I am happily heating steel....

IF I were to purchase  everything new and follow precise plan, new coal forge or gas forge probably would have cost me $600-800... But I have less than $100 invested and it may not rival fancy "store bought" forge but it gets the metal just as hot...

IF one wants to create a detailed drawing and buy all new materials and assemble with rigid adherence to master plan, its ok... But when every dime counts, I would rather spend the saved dimes (from adaptive construction) on tongs and hammers and books on blacksmithing, maybe even on a few lessons from a master...

Dale

Dale sure likes to stir the pot! I was with him yesterday and he'll contribute to any conversation, just kidding Dale!!!!

I too will be fabbing a new coal forge later this summer and have been following this thread closely for good ideas. Like the idea of a hood. My last outdoor event I was covered in ash and my tent too! 5-6' of chimney to loft the ash and junk would do the trick.

Dale sure likes to stir the pot! I was with him yesterday and he'll contribute to any conversation, just kidding Dale!!!!

I too will be fabbing a new coal forge later this summer and have been following this thread closely for good ideas. Like the idea of a hood. My last outdoor event I was covered in ash and my tent too! 5-6' of chimney to loft the ash and junk would do the trick.

ACK!..... My secret is out.....  Hi Jake....

Dale