I Forge Iron

Hello from Boise, Idaho

I've made a few posts since I originally created my account, but I wanted to officially introduce myself. My name is Josiah Peters, I mostly go by Joey and I live in Boise, Idaho with my wife, dog and two cats. By trade I'm a software developer and I've always had a great joy for making things.

I was inspired to get into blacksmithing while learning about timber framing by watching a video I saw by

There is a Blacksmith Association in your area. Hook up with them.

There will be "Western States Blacksmith Conference", August 22-26 at Government Camp on Mt. Hood. Check it out on the NorthWest Blacksmith Association website www.blacksmith.org

Neil

Welcome nice looking work

Thanks, but credit goes to my instructor for pushing me so quickly and having well planned out lessons for me to do. He already had jigs for the scrolls so it was just a matter of me bending along the jigs. So its definitely nicer looking than if I had tried to freehand it or using jigs I made myself. I'm truely blessed to be able to learn from someone like him!

There is a Blacksmith Association in your area. Hook up with them.

There will be "Western States Blacksmith Conference", August 22-26 at Government Camp on Mt. Hood. Check it out on the NorthWest Blacksmith Association website www.blacksmith.org

Neil

Neil,

I joined the blacksmith.org forum a while back but I find it harder to keep up with over iforgeiron.com. I'll have to look into officially joining them because I'm definitely enjoying forging and I'm sure I'll be doing it as a hobby for a long time.

I will definitely have to try and fit the conference in my schedule! I remember seeing that on blacksmith.org but I had forgotten when it was thanks for the reminder.

You're one lucky guy Joey, having a smith willing to take you under his wing is a treat many of us would've loved to have. that's a beautiful scroll panel.

Looking with a practiced eye it has no flaws but is obviously a lesson or practice piece with four different finials on the scrolls. that is something to hang in your shop with pride and as a reference in coming years to how far you've come.

I don't think he's pushing you much, he's taught before, has a plan and knows how to inspire a student. Sure he has jigs, we all have jigs you'll have jigs. Have you made some now you've used them? I don't recall where the post is but someone here recently posted a link to layout drawings and I've spent a few hours watching a terrific set of blacksmithing instructional videos made by a great smith.

As terrific as this set of videos is they can't hold a candle to having face to face time in a working shop. You'll progress many times faster with personal instruction. However, watching the videos or anyone else forging will help. I always learn something from watching anyone else forging, even if it's DON'T do THAT! Negative info is still info, it's all useful.

I look forward to seeing more pics of your work, tools, etc. Oh yeah, the dogs, pics of the dogs is good.

This is our new boy, Baxter.

Frosty The Lucky.

post-975-0-36433700-1370462976_thumb.jpg

You're one lucky guy Joey, having a smith willing to take you under his wing is a treat many of us would've loved to have. that's a beautiful scroll panel.

Looking with a practiced eye it has no flaws but is obviously a lesson or practice piece with four different finials on the scrolls. that is something to hang in your shop with pride and as a reference in coming years to how far you've come.

I don't think he's pushing you much, he's taught before, has a plan and knows how to inspire a student. Sure he has jigs, we all have jigs you'll have jigs. Have you made some now you've used them? I don't recall where the post is but someone here recently posted a link to layout drawings and I've spent a few hours watching a terrific set of blacksmithing instructional videos made by a great smith.

As terrific as this set of videos is they can't hold a candle to having face to face time in a working shop. You'll progress many times faster with personal instruction. However, watching the videos or anyone else forging will help. I always learn something from watching anyone else forging, even if it's DON'T do THAT! Negative info is still info, it's all useful.

I look forward to seeing more pics of your work, tools, etc. Oh yeah, the dogs, pics of the dogs is good.

This is our new boy, Baxter.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm very blessed and grateful he's willing to teach me. It's a night and day difference between his teaching me in a properly equipped shop versus me trying to figure it out alone with minimal equipment and YouTube and written instruction alone. I am very happy I spent the time watching videos and reading before he started teaching me though. I already have some understanding of the concepts and terms that he's showing me. I'm sure that helps us keep the pace up.

You're right, as nice as it looks compared to other things we have made, its very much a practice piece. The fact that we made four different scroll ends speaks to the skill of my mentor. And I don't feel rushed or pushed in a negative way. He knows the next step I need to take to learn something new and seems to know just the right amount to challenge me each week.

Do you think you could dig that link up again? I'd like to check it out.

Baxter sure is a cute little guy!

Here is Guinness the dog on the lookout for squirrels. 
8964061634_9938e223b9_b.jpg

And here she is just before a local run with your dog race:

8964059734_1a631716ea_b.jpg

Guinness won me over, a happy dog is worth a little trouble. It's not like I'm going to sift through my internet history files for a mee human you know. <grin> then again, it was worth the trouble, I bookmarked it this time. See kids? I CAN learn.

http://www.youtube.com/user/theironworkshop?feature=watch

I forgot to mention last post, My sister lives in or really near the south side of Boise. so, you never know I may just come pester you in person some day. I do that sort of thing you know.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hello
Nice scrolling and nice dog photos.

I live in Buhl and I am also a beginner.

Kirk

Great to find someone within a few hours of me. Once I get a shop built and a permanent setup I'll let you know. Maybe you can pound some iron with me when you're this way.

Jigs or no jigs, nice scroll, cool dog. Nice to meet ya.

Thanks Nobody, I have a feeling my dog knows she's cool. She at least knows she's cute and sweet!

• 1 year later...

post-61436-0-37500000-1423156172_thumb.jHi Josiah, My Name is Byron "Dave" Eames. I live in New Plymouth, Id. I've been a professional show-horse farrier for almost 28 years. These days I'm shoeing fewer horses and finding more time to forge iron in the coal.

I smith in the old Tuttle Blacksmith Shop in New Plymouth two or three times/week. I sure would like to meet someone to pound iron with. I have a trailer set up for shoeing and smithing. So, I can travel to practice with folks if need be.

Would you like to swap email addresses? Mine is byroneames at gmail dot com or just give me a call or text at 208 nine 0 six nine 55 zero

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Dave

Hi Josiah, My Name is Byron "Dave" Eames. I live in New Plymouth, Id. I've been a professional show-horse farrier for almost 28 years. These days I'm shoeing fewer horses and finding more time to forge iron in the coal.&&0){for(var>

I smith in the old Tuttle Blacksmith Shop in New Plymouth two or three times/week. I sure would like to meet someone to pound iron with. I have a trailer set up for shoeing and smithing. So, I can travel to practice with folks if need be.

Would you like to swap email addresses? Mine is byroneames at gmail dot com or just give me a call or text at 208 nine 0 six nine 55 zero

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Dave

I'm originally from Middleton and frequent the area. Feel free to PM me on here if you'd like to schedulae any meets.