I Forge Iron

Buying a hay budden, why 2 tables?

It sounds like there may be by a chunk of the steel face missing from the horn side of the anvil.

By the way it is generally frowned at to ever cut directly on to the anvil surface. I do not know where the idea of the step being a cutting table came from. But I can assure you that most good smiths that needed to use a quality anvil for there job would not cut directly into any part of the face. A piece of scrap iron should be set on the anvil and the finish cutting be done into that.

I agree.  Part of the face plate has broken off.  I have one just like it, only broke through the hardy hole.  I used mine for years untill I got something better.  At least the hardy is still useable on this one. 

Ken

I would pass on that anvil. 

If you are a trained welder and like to weld and grind a lot it could be fixed up with the Rob Gunter welding repair method. The weld repair would be expensive and time consuming. So unless the anvil is FREE I would not bother trying to save it.

People post here all the time asking for low priced anvils,  they can he found and this is how,  that damage effect the value but not he use of these anvils they will be great for the starter that does not want to spend hundreds on a larger new one. Just avoid hitting on the damaged ares.  There is still a large amount of very nice face left on both of them.