I Forge Iron

Need Suggestions for Categories for Local Fair

OK, here's my question:

What are some potential categories for metalwork for a county fair exposition.

The reason I ask is that the local fair has several categories for display and/or judging, but none that hand-wrought metalwork would really fit into. So, after talking to the nice lady in charge, there will be added categories to cover metalwork next year.:D She wants me to make her a list of suggested categories, so she can have it added next time around. She was very receptive to the idea of getting some metalwork into the exposition hall.

Here's a few I could think of:

Hand Wrought Decorative
Hand Wrought Functional
Metal Sculpture-Traditional Joinery
Metal Sculpture-Welded
Junkyard Art
Horseshoe Art

Any suggestions, and the specifics for inclusion in that category, would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your ideas and suggestions!

Raised,
sunk,
Repousse and chased,
fold formed
cast.

Being techniques these can all be fit into other catagories as well as scales such as:
Jewelry,
vessels,
sculpture,
hardware,
architectural,
structural,
etc., etc.

Frosty

KeyKeeper,
I don't know how big your local fair is but just from my limited experience this year at our small county fair I would try to keep the categories simple an to a minimum. If the program picks up add as you go.
Perhaps several levels of functional and an art category at first.

Just my 2 cents.

Metal tools/Household Implements - Any style one size fits all. A hammer that has a drilled eye and a broom handle, or a trivet that was forge then MIGd together, Cold bent scrolls and reworked screwdrivers...Anybody can get in this category

Then to the upper end
Traditional hand made - no Arc welding allowed Gas welding? Also no fabricating, if a piece of angle iron is used then it need to have been forged to fit into the piece. Tubing same way. Everything must be forged.

Maybe that will help get the juices flowing.

I agree with JWB, keep it simple to start with.

three catagories,
hand forged - no welding, must be by forge, hand and hammer. no cold work
other - any metal working process.
peoples choice of both of the above. by ballot, this also gives you an idea of how many people are interested in ironwork.

Wow, talk about quick response. Thanks so far for your input.

I was thinking the same about keeping it simple to start. I will put together a list for the lady. I was just a little tired last night when I posted this, and forgot to add some of the details as far as size of fair, interest, etc.

I did notice a welded together "junk" sculpture, using round rod, pipe collars, nuts, bolts, etc. in the exhibit hall, so I know at least someone has interest in metalwork.

Jr. and JWB-I agree that simple is the way to start out, so here's what I will suggest to the organizers:

Metalworking Category
1) HAND FORGED- no welding, must be by forge, hand and hammer. no cold work
A. Functional
B. Artistic/Decorative

2) OTHER PROCESS-any technique may be used to produce final product/item including fabrication, electric/gas welding, machining, or any combination thereof.
A. Functional
B. Artistic/Decorative

3) COMBINATION-any of above processes may be used in conjunction to produce final product/item.
A. Functional
B. Artistic/Decorative