I Forge Iron

20 ft shaft from a 20's-30's Texas mill - Owner is curious about its type and value

Guy is clearing out this warehouse that was a 20's or 30's mill (check "it followed me home" later to see my haul).

This is a shaft from the mill he would like to sell. It's ~20ish ft long, 2.5 or 3 inches diameter (nobody had a tape measure). 

First thing I thought was LOOK AT ALL THOSE HAMMERS!!!

Anyhoo, can anybody put a ballpark value on it and speculate as to the type of steel? Probable origin? 

post-36194-0-00344200-1370110436_thumb.j

post-36194-0-93386600-1370110447_thumb.j

That shaft is from a "line shaft".  Originally mounted on large hanger bearings, and had several more pulleys on it.  It was used to get power to various machines mounted below it.

I would think it is mild steel.

Value as a line shaft is more if it had the bearings and more than the one pulley that is left.  I would think it is worth scrap plus a little.  If it is mild steel, then it is not the best hammer head material.

Is the rust "red" or "brown", ... "coarse" or "fine" ?

Mild ( Cold Rolled ) steel, should have coarse, red rust.

If it's a fine textured rust, more brown than red, it's very likely "Stress Proof" shafting.

You can probably get more money than scrap if you list it for sale some where all the local blacksmiths will see it. I would happily buy 2 or 3 inch mild steel for twice scrap price. People with big power hammers like to buy steel cheeper than new to feed there hammers.

Back in those days Austin was a small town .   The only place that I can think of that would have had line shaft powered equipment would have been Calcasieu Lumber company .   Some where down on West 3 rd street, or there abouts.   

If you were in proximity to me, I would buy that shafting to power more triphammers in my shop....................if anyone has line shafts and line shaft wheels in pennsy, new york, new jersey, etc. hit me up in the PM

You must have one XXXX of a shop. He has at least 2 wheels for it. I'd be more than happy to strap it to my truck and drive it up there for a small fee  :D .

Back in those days Austin was a small town .   The only place that I can think of that would have had line shaft powered equipment would have been Calcasieu Lumber company .   Some where down on West 3 rd street, or there abouts.   

The mill is in San Marcos. Apparently it had a one of a kind motor to drive the system that people still stop by to see if it's still there (it's not). 

Greetings Twodogzz,

Line shafting is typically 1/16 undersize...   1 1516    1  7/16  ect,,,,   The value is priceless...   I have a complete line shaft shop and I will post some pictures in a few days....   When I post the pictures I will explain priceless..

Jim

Greetings Twodogzz,

Line shafting is typically 1/16 undersize...   1 1516    1  7/16  ect,,,,   The value is priceless...   I have a complete line shaft shop and I will post some pictures in a few days....   When I post the pictures I will explain priceless..

Jim

Looking forward to hearing about it. This building is fantastic. I'll have to get some pictures of it and post. 

Greetings Dave,

From what my research has discovered..  In roll forming it starts bigger and ends up 1/16 under from finishing or grinding...  Smaller shafting 11/2 down in normally fractional by 1/8..  I have had some say its finished rolled and some say ground...  

I hope this helps..

Jim

Old shafting is one thing.  REALLY old is another.  My experience has been with cold shafting that is dead on ( perhaps .003-005 under).  For example, GRA100 nppb bearing ( 1" pillow block bearing, greasable) will measure dead on 1".  The older stuff than me ( and I'll be 60 this year) may have been smaller (shafting) but not in my experience.  This is how I learn.  Had never heard of undersized. 

Hot rolled of course can vary large.  It (in my experience) has scale on it and is FINE for forging.  Mostly will be close in diameter but of course no need for close tolerance ( to fit bearings).  It USED to be about half the price of cold but anymore it's closer than that. This is round or square stock.

• 1 month later...