I Forge Iron

Welder repair question

I had a Lincoln SP 250 for many years.  The board finally went out right in the middle of a job.  The machine had been discontinued, so no board avaliable.

To have a board made would have been 1200 bucks.  Bought a Miller.  Just because you by quality is no gaurentee.

Buy the best you can afford based on the type and amount of work.

See if you have an electronics class at a local community college, then see if the instructor, or a student, would like a project. You pay for parts, they do the troubleshooting, and repair. May be something simple in the end. Then either use it, or sell it.

I love my Lincoln SP-100, and have run a ton of wire through it. I have 4 MIGs 2 Lincolns,and 2 Millers. Look for a brand that you can get serviced locally.

This looks like an infinitely adjustable 120V MIG welder, similar to a Lincoln SP-100.  The voltage adjustment comes from an SCR pair triggered by the control board.  The PC control board also provides for adjusting the motor speed.  If you have some knowledge of electronics, you can fix this unit.  It is not as difficult as an inverter welder, but more difficult than a battery charger.  Also, if you cannot fix it, you may be able to salvage some interesting parts.  If the power supply is good, you have a variable voltage, high current supply, which can be used for electrolytic derusting and various mischief.  If the wire feed is good, you can use this as a feeder for a power supply.  There are a lot of Millermatic 35 welders with bad guns or drive motors floating around.  This could be cobbled together as a feeder if its power stage is out.  All the power stage is is a phase control for triggering the SCR's.  Diagnosing it is fairly straightforward with a basic SCR manual available from the web.

What is the goofing up?