I Forge Iron

First try at making knife to desired shape

Eddie Mullins

Just thought I would share my first attempt at making a knife to a somewhat defined shape. Prior to this I have hammered out 1 "knife" from 1/2" round mild and 1 " knife" from 1/2 mild square. These were just hammering exercises. I finally scored a leaf spring and made 1 knife out of it, no plan in mind, again just hammering away. Yesterday I actually found a pic of a knife that I wanted to replicate.

I am not at the point of making handles yest, so will just para-cord wrap the handle. Also don't own a sander so this was done with an angle grinder.

Pics are knife as forged along with the size of stock started with, and then with a pic of the knife and a test fit of the handle with the para-cord to see if any tweeks were needed. Still need to finish the heat treatment, polish and sharpening. A belt sander would be soo handy, I am using an angle grinder with flap disks currently.

post-37148-0-79194800-1369735746_thumb.j

post-37148-0-17149300-1369735736_thumb.j

My next hurdle (among many) a sheath. I guess I will be buying some leather.

Files, now why didn't I think of that. My use of files has primarily been limited to rough work, like mower blades, or removing burrs, did give em thought for knives, and doubt the few I own would really be suitable. I am guessing there are techniques and different styles I need to learn about. I do happpen to know of a local flea market with a nice assortment.

A good draw filing technique can reveal a very smooth very flat finish that needs only sanding to produce a fine finish. Nice work keep them coming and don't forget to check out Knife Chat lessons.....lots of excellent info for guys like us!

The series of knifemaking lessons on this site were designed to help folks like yourself, You have a good start and they will  help you move along.

I actually  just read the sanding and filing and the sharpening ones. For some reason I had overlooked them. There is definitely a lot to take in. Thanks for taking the time to put those together, they are certanily helpful, and I am trying to do my homework.

Nice work, good shape. If you don't want to fight leather at first, kydex is pretty simple to work with, and may look good with that style, especially if you stay withthe 550 cord.

I'm not sure I even know what kydex is, I'll ask Google : ) .  Any tips on sources for either it or leather?

There are lots of outlets for both leather and Kydex.  Tandy Leather is one, Jantz Knife supply (Davis, OK), & Texas knife supply are just a few right off hand. Kydex is a plastic that comes in sheets. You can heat it up in an oven, toaster oven, or with a heat gun, then shape it around your knife, very versatile! It looks good with 550 cord and micarta (or any similar type) handles. But I still like leather for any natural type handles, like wood, antler etc.... :)

There are lots of outlets for both leather and Kydex.  Tandy Leather is one, Jantz Knife supply (Davis, OK), & Texas knife supply are just a few right off hand. Kydex is a plastic that comes in sheets. You can heat it up in an oven, toaster oven, or with a heat gun, then shape it around your knife, very versatile! It looks good with 550 cord and micarta (or any similar type) handles. But I still like leather for any natural type handles, like wood, antler etc.... :)

Thanks 'Ill check them out. I  looked  at Tandy previously but didn't know which type of leather I really needed.

I think youi would be better off buying new quallity files than cheap ones.

My current problem is I am not sure exactly what defines a quality file. The ones I saw at the flea market were used but to my eye and feel were of better quality or better suited to blade work then what I currently own. If you have some specifics on files or types please share.

I did do some work on the knife last night with my current files, first a coarser then finer file and got better results than I had expected and was able to flatten some of the surfaces the angle grinder did not. I need sand paper now, I guess it'll be auto body type stuff purchased locally.

• 2 weeks later...

I found a nice leather site. www.brettunsvillage.com/leather/ they even have scraps you can buy.

Thanks! I'll check them out.

Just as an update, I have heat treated and sharpened my knife, it'll shave : ) . It could use more polishing, but I kind of like it as is. I think overall I kept this one a little too think, the next is in process, I'm going to go thinner with it.