I Forge Iron

buying my first anvil

hello, new guy here. I was wondering if anyone could tell me more about this anvil ive been looking at. An estimation of age and possible origin would be nice to know. I am hoping a better trained eye might be able to tell me somethings to check for and what they might expect to pay for such an anvil in New England. The seller thinks it weighs about 130.  Thanks for your time!

post-41454-0-82479700-1369331687_thumb.j

post-41454-0-82176600-1369331747_thumb.j

Welcome aboard, glad to have you.

I don't have much help for your age and origins questions. It looks to be in pretty good shape, I don't find a little swale in the face a handicap at all. the edges look to be missing a couple ships but otherwise crisp enough and in good shape. 130lbs. is a nice size, especially for demos as you'll have to be moving it.

Find yourself a decent post vise, it'll hold your bottom (hardy) tools just fine and you won't miss a hardy hole at all. A bolster plate will take the place of a pritchel hole and the vise will do as well. Cut plates or saddles are very good for saving the anvil face and hot sets from the anvil face so you can use hacks, hot sets or other top tools without worrying a bit.

Taking a WAG it looks to this uneducated eye to be an old English made anvil in the family of the Mouse Holes but there are lots of relatives in that family. It could date from anywhere from the 18th to late 19th centuries THAT'S a WAG though, someone with Anvils in America will surely chime in with good questions and a decent ID. Oh yeah, are there any marks on the sides, stampings or standing proud, cast marks?

Frosty The Lucky.

It actually does have a hardy hole, just no pritchel. Sorry about the useless 2nd picture i just copied them over from craigslist. I dont know about any markings on it as i havent seen it in person yet, just the pictures. So i am pretty green but have done a little research, when im inspecting this im going to ask if i can ring it with a ballpeen hammer/check for cracks. If it passes those tests and has a nice rebound off the face is 1.50/pound a fair price? Is there anything else i should be looking for or thinking about? Thank you very much!

Greetings White,

Price per pound don't mean squat...  Its condition..  If I were you I would take a straight edge and check the sway back first.... It's an early English anvil probably pre 1820 s with no pritchel hole...  Early English anvils are fun but if you are paying 2/3 the cost of a great anvil it's up to you...  Be picky it's something that you will be working on for a long time and making dedicated tools to fit the hardie hole.  Why go to all that trouble for something that you wll probably upgrade in the future..   I have several early English that I use a beeters for the kids..  

Good Luck    Jimj

Looks ok for an older/starter anvil.  $1.50/lb is good for a Craigslist price around here as long as it passes the tests suggested in the previous posts.  

Joined NEB yet?  http://www.newenglandblacksmiths.org  Our next meet will be in Brentwood, New Hampshire, early September.  Mark Asprey is lined up to be our demonstrator.  

Less that $2/lb for a good sized anvil?  I'd consider that a fair price.  Figure in shipping or gas prices though if it's a bit of a ways away.

Overall, the anvil looks in great condition with nice edges and just a bit of sway to the face.  I'd certainly buy it and not think twice about the deal.  Lighter anvils like that are tops, in my book, because they can do all of the work of a heavier anvil but are easier to move out of the way when not needed.

Nice looking old anvil that has seen a lot of American history. Just think of the stuff that has happened since the 1820s and you get the privilege to add you little bit to it by forging some more excellent smithing to it's history. That anvil could have come here sometime between James Madison and John Q. Adams administration, that's how long ago that was, just think of that, and it's still a function tool. How many other tools will you own do think will still be functional that long into the future? Not many, anvils may have a few dings and chips but it takes a lot to make them totally nonfunctional and this one is still able to do a good days work. Go buy it! Light off the forge and make something useful.