I Forge Iron

New Grinder WIP

Well it is almost finished ! it is a custom build KMG type grinder that I have posted a ton of times when asked the question of what grinder should I get /build many will recognize it and yes custom ! as myself and a friend have changed many things to make it more worker friendly and easier to operate .

with out due here are a few photos 7 attached at this location .

http://imgur.com/epQNnMW,USXNl6L,SPcTmE5,ql1lbop,8OVubzB,nAFuyaa,cAxHFF4#0

Enjoy & Best Regards

Sam  

Very nice work.  I keep meaning to build a slack belt attachment for mine... and a table.... and .... well, you get the point.

A 2x72 belt grinder is, hands down, the best tool in the shop.  I have no idea how I did without mine for so many years!

I have a few more photos to post in the next few days, the unit has been bead blasted and coated in clear along with the lock pin on the tension arm for belt set up and aliment (like on a chop saw hold down) all the handles and knobs are done , and the adapter for a quick release wheel attachment for Large and Small wheels man this thing is looking Awesome Now on to the Veritable speed motor and controller. I am very excited to get this finished and put it to work .

Sam    

Yes Frosty,

I should be much happier very soon . I have done so much with so little for so long . I won't know how to act :lol:  with a quality piece of equipment built to last and make life and knife making much easier . both myself and my good friend have hopes of finishing it before the end of the month and have a good selection of belts to put it to work .

Sam

Nice work Sam!!!   What's your plan for the motor/speed control?

Hey on grinders like this, is having the wheels in exact alignment important for belt tracking?  I want to build "grinder in a box" and am trying to figure out my game plan...

~Steve

Steve: Yes, having the wheels aligned is important for tracking but having them crowned is far more important. A belt can walk right off a flat wheel but tracks to center on a crown. Rubber wheels are stickier but don't necessarily track on center.

Crowned pullies go for ANY flat belt application, the one on my 50lb. Little Giant looks like a balloon tire.

Typically the rubber wheel is the one right below the platen on belt grinders and is flat so it can be used to produce a straight hollow grind without fighting the crown.

Frosty The Lucky.

Awesome Sam, would love to see how you set it all up.

thanks Frosty!!  Crowned wheels track to center -sounds counterintuitive!!   cool cool  I have to start looking around at parts etc..

~Steve

Awesome Sam, would love to see how you set it all up.

thanks Frosty!!  Crowned wheels track to center -sounds counterintuitive!!   cool cool  I have to start looking around at parts etc..

~Steve

It is counter intuitive till you think about it a while. A good example test is. Roll a wheel on a side slope and see which way it goes. Intuition says it'll roll downhill but it turns and rolls uphill instead. This is because the uphill contact point on a wheel has a shorter radius than the downhill contact point so it tracks towards the side with the greater drag.

Frosty The Lucky.