I Forge Iron

500 pound fisher anvil, what would you pay?

As the title states, I am in negotiations on a 500 pound fisher anvil. it has good edges but some material missing on the front corners. (small chip on one side, golf ball size on the other) What would you guys feel comfortable paying for a anvil of this size? and condition?

There is a 300 pounder in Houston with clean edges one small chunk out out the front corner. Otherwise super nice. He's asking 1000. Seems a little high to me. But u can make it all back with your projects. I'd say 2.50-3.00 a pound is fair. Just my two cents.

Greetings Marcusb,

CONDITION  CONDITION  CONDITION ....  The golf ball is the question ... A picture would tell the story...   I always question large chips and knockouts as to how the anvil was treated in its past life..   Once abused always abused...

Good luck    Jim

I seriously doubt a man of your age has no sediment.  :D

True. I DO like old anvils but unless it's something really special I wouldn't pay more than $3 pp but on the other hand I've sold em for more than that.....Take my buddy Smokey Adams, he was at Rapid City selling off some of his BS tools and among his stuff was a very nice 300 lb Fisher...He wanted like $2200 for it and I said; cripes Smokey, you can walk a hundred feet from here and get a new anvil about the same weight for less money so he lowered his price to $1700 and still didn't sell it.   R.C. was an anvil rich enviroment which tends to tighten the emotional purse strings..... :ph34r:

Thanks for all the replies guys, I really appreciate it. Sounds like this one is just overpriced for what it is. I will keep looking.

Hate that I missed that one you had listed Tim, I would gladly pay $900 for a decent 500 pounder

I'd max out at $2000 if the edges had minimal damage.  Fisher anvils often have glass-hard faces and can chip rather easily, all things considered, and it isn't an indication of abuse.  The chips you describe don't seem that bad - I'd look at the package as a whole (sway, edges, weight, need) and go from there.

Secondly, big Fishers are fairly hard to come by.  The biggest Fisher that I've ever personally seen is now residing in my "smithy" and I'm very happy to have gotten her for less than $3 per pound.  The edges are heavily chipped, but she was more than worth the price I paid and I wouldn't trade her for anything.

A brand-new 242lb Papa Rhino anvil will set you back at least $1200, so going a bit higher for something with some history and extra weight isn't unreasonable.  If you can afford it, go for it.  If you can talk them down, talk them down as far as possible and be happy.

"Secondly, big Fishers are fairly hard to come by.  The biggest Fisher that I've ever personally seen is now residing in my "smithy" and I'm very happy to have gotten her for less than $3 per pound.  The edges are heavily chipped, but she was more than worth the price I paid and I wouldn't trade her for anything."

Trying not to hijack this thread, but just wondering how big your Fisher anvils is VaughnT?

If anyone ever wants to see the BIG ones, come to NJ for a visit. I have all the sizes on display from 1/2 lb to 800. 

NJ, my Fisher is somewhere north of 300# and south of 350#.  I haven't bought a scale big enough to weigh it, yet, but it's on the to-do list just so I'll have a definitive number.

Every Fisher I've personally come across has been in the sub-200 category.  I wanted to snatch up every one of them and give them a good home!  Very happy to have a true hoss in the shop!   :D