I Forge Iron

My thanks to this forum and to blacksmithing

My truck got several steps forward towards being on the road again.  I forged this piece of high carbon steel because the original linkage was too short after a front disc brake conversion.  This is about the 3rd time I've used the forge and anvil to fabricate something for this truck.  I'm particularly pleased with this one though because it's a first for forging high carbon and punching a hole and even a slot.  And now the transmission shifts thru all the gears like normal! 

After having rebuilt my old carburetor and tried other things, I threw in the towel and bought a brand new one.  It wasn't cheap, but the difference in how it runs is night & day.  I mention this because it and all purchases in the last 6 months for the truck have been from money earned solely from smithing.  If someone asks an anvil cost so much, the answer to me is because they're worth every penny and you can quickly recover your investment.  Without smithing, progress would've either stopped long ago, or I'd be digging a hole with credit cards. 

I'm very grateful for this forum and it's members!!!

Dan

post-34362-0-15285700-1368411446_thumb.j

post-34362-0-13620500-1368411449_thumb.j

post-34362-0-81164900-1368411452_thumb.j

post-34362-0-17399800-1368411457_thumb.j

post-34362-0-45290600-1368411460_thumb.j

That puts a great big fat old grin in my face Dan!

Some folk know the price of everything and the value of nothing. I salute the value you draw forth from fire, iron and sweat!

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty!  In what seems to be a largely disposable world, I love how smithing transforms your way of thinking.  Not too long ago I would've been dismayed with what would appear to be an impossible part to find.  I would've either been searching junkyards hoping to find something, or most likely ended up going to a custom machine shop to have them fabricate the shifter, the arm and now this linkage.  To complicate matters this was on a truck that would have to have been towed wherever to get it done right, or spend more money & time going back'n forth.  The amount of room between the transmission and master brake cylinder leaves very little room to spare.

In this case my first thought was splicing and welding in a piece of steel, but spark testing the original link showed it to be high carbon so that would've not been ideal as I don't have much experience welding high carbon.  If done wrong would result in no usable part at all and potential risk.  I'm comfortable forging mild steel, so I considered doing that, but then decided against it as there's probably a reason GM used high carbon and I needed to get past this anyway.  Searching my scrap pile and spark testing, I found just what I needed.  A year ago this little piece of scrap would've gone into the trash, instead thru fire, iron & sweat, as well as confidence & knowledge gained from here, made into exactly what was needed.  And this is only one instance.  When my radiator was spewing coolant, the resolution for coming up with the money was to turn wrenches from pawn shops into bottle openers and sell them at every auto parts store I went to, so finding a market, creating a product and then selling to that market. 

This weekend was also spent making hardy tools out of jack hammer bits, forging a gardening trowel for my mom and knocking out my wife's to-do list for Mother's Day with the kids pitching in.  Both of my older kids also joined in working on the truck.  It's great to see them involved and working together.

Dan

Well done.

The entire truck was most likely made by forging, machining, and bending metal. With a hardware store on the corner, and a big box store within driving distance, people have forgotten they can make many of the items they need.

The truck will have much more meaning to you knowing you made some of the parts that make it move.

Well done.

The entire truck was most likely made by forging, machining, and bending metal. With a hardware store on the corner, and a big box store within driving distance, people have forgotten they can make many of the items they need.

The truck will have much more meaning to you knowing you made some of the parts that make it move.

Even more rewarding if they make it stop too! That's smithing for you.

The force moves strongly in you Dan. (in my best Yoda impression)

I too grew up with the mass production world. I don't knock mass production at all, it's what gave US the life we have. My folks and us kids used to play the "find how many homes, cars, etc. just like ours" game when we traveled. Mass production meant the difference between a hard scrabble existence and prosperity to my folks and so many others.

Now though, two generations have grown up with with mass production facelessness, everything looks alike and is machine perfect. So, hand made holds a special place, something nobody ELSE has is special and holds premium value. That's MY market place. right now as I type I have spinners wanting and asking when I'm going to start making doffers again. They can buy commercial doffers or modify phillips screw drivers or ice picks to do the job. Mine are ergonomic, personalized and HAND forged. Mine go like hot cakes at much higher prices and are back ordered. I'm just not up to MY standards of quality since the accident . . YET.

Hand forged custom bragging rights is what I sell. That my friends is MY market. It's soul satisfying for me and puts big fat brag about it, works better than factory, smiles on my customers faces.

Better still, it gives me a goal, GOADS me into trying harder to beat my TBI into submission. CAN it get any better?

Frosty The Lucky.

Yes.  For those who appreciate such things, it's a joy to see their eyes light up when you give them the tool they asked for.  I have many friends who garden and they love having something that isn't going to break, that is uniquely theirs, custom made. 

Then I have many friends who like to drink beer who can boast that their bottle opener is way cooler than yours.  And for me providing that as well as being able to keep my restoration going, paying some extra bills and having cash to buy the kids ice cream when the truck comes down the street is the icing on the cake.  Getting paid to express yourself and make others happy...doesn't get any better.