I Forge Iron

An Introduction and an anvil

Hey guys,

I've been a forum lurker for quite some time now and I've just bought my first anvil so thought i should introduce myself and my anvil together!  I'm fairly new to blacksmithing, I've done a couple of bladesmith courses and I do some forge work every now and then at the foundry in London where I work, though it's mostly industrial power hammer work rather than the decorative work and knife making that I'm mostly interested in.

Now that's out of the way, here's the anvil! A local salvage yard had it for sale for £180 ($275) and it looked too good to turn down.  It was advertised as 2.5cwt but with the measurements given I was fairly sure it's a 3cwt as it's almost identical in dimensions to the one we have at work which has 3cwt cast on it's side.  I understand 3cwt is quite big for a beginner but I figure if I've got the space and the price was right, there's no reason not to take it as I figure I'll a great many years work from it.  The anvil is 35 1/2" long, 14" high and 6" wide and is wrought iron construction.  It has a nice bounce to it and rings like a bell (with my job at the foundry, i should know what a bell sounds like)!

P5110010.jpg

P5110009.jpg

P5110005.jpg

So how did i do?

As you can see, it has two hardy holes, which I gather is fairly unusual, does anyone have any idea whether this anvil would have been created for a particular task that would require the repeated use of two hardy tools?  The blacksmith at work suggested it was possibly a chain maker's anvil but he didn't think the horn showed enough wear for that.  I was wondering if the collective knowledge of the IFI community might be able to give me an age and/or possibly the manufacturer of this anvil.  After cleaning it up with a wire brush in an angle grinder i found a few small markings on it, shown here:

P5110001.jpg

and this marking on the foot beneath the horn.

P5110004.jpg

Any help identifying the age and maker of this anvil would be very much appreciated,

Simon.

Looks like a nice one, good score!!! ;)

I'll second that about size. The bigger and heavier the better for shop use.

Aside of it being obviously of British manufacture, from this vantage point I cant make out any writing on it. It helps a lot to rub some talk or baby powder on any inscriptions you see as it makes it easier to read.

George

I'm pretty sure it's two 0's stamped on the side, and it's definitely an O or 0 stamped on the foot, but i assumed it was a 3cwt anvil so was confused as the first stamp couldn't possibly be a 3...it could be 4cwt i guess, it sure was heavier than i was expecting!  We sure had some fun getting it into and out of the back of the car, especially when someone pulled out in front of my car at a junction and I had to slam the brakes on, was glad i tied it down good and tight!

Welcome aboard Simon, glad to have you. Trying to judge the weight of an anvil by measurements is always iffy, putting it on a scale is the only way to be sure.

That's a wonderful score and a fine size as long as you don't have to move it very often. You HAVE been hanging out on the forum long enough to know we LOVE pics. Yes?

Frosty The Lucky.

Hello Simon and welcome aboard, that's a sweet anvil you found and my it serve you well. Does your place of employment have a website, if I may be so bold?

Hey Macbruce, yeah we have a website, here you go: http://www.whitechapelbellfoundry.co.uk/ ,  I believe we may have made a rather important part of your American heritage about 260 years ago :P

Welcome aboard Simon, glad to have you. Trying to judge the weight of an anvil by measurements is always iffy, putting it on a scale is the only way to be sure.

That's a wonderful score and a fine size as long as you don't have to move it very often. You HAVE been hanging out on the forum long enough to know we LOVE pics. Yes?

Frosty The Lucky.

Hey Frosty, thanks for the welcome, I thought the photos i had in my original post pretty much covered everything but I'm happy to upload more if there is anything specific that you would like to see in more detail. I assume the links in are actually working and you guys can see them?  I love photos as much as you guys do!

I'm pretty sure it's two 0's stamped on the side, and it's definitely an O or 0 stamped on the foot, but i assumed it was a 3cwt anvil so was confused as the first stamp couldn't possibly be a 3...it could be 4cwt i guess, it sure was heavier than i was expecting!  We sure had some fun getting it into and out of the back of the car, especially when someone pulled out in front of my car at a junction and I had to slam the brakes on, was glad i tied it down good and tight!

Goodness me. My 2.5cwt anvil slid around in the boot when I brought it home. Enough to kick the back end out when I went round the roundabout :o

Nice looking anvil! Looks like that front hardy hole did most of the work too. I'm sure most of us have a few tales about anvils not being secured properly. When I got my first I just set it in the back of my 70 GMC and drove off. The first time I had to stop it moved to front of the bed in at 45 miles an hour, a body in motion and all that stuff really does work you know. It's a good thing it hit the back of the bed broadside or I would have been firmly impaled on the horn of an anvil and that would have been a dilemma.

Hey Macbruce, yeah we have a website, here you go: http://www.whitechapelbellfoundry.co.uk/ ,  I believe we may have made a rather important part of your American heritage about 260 years ago :P

Hey Frosty, thanks for the welcome, I thought the photos i had in my original post pretty much covered everything but I'm happy to upload more if there is anything specific that you would like to see in more detail. I assume the links in are actually working and you guys can see them?  I love photos as much as you guys do!

You ARE going to do something besides taking pics of that anvil aren't you? Send pics of that stuff but don't be shy about the occasional pic of that beauty as she cleans up in use.

Frosty The Lucky.

You ARE going to do something besides taking pics of that anvil aren't you? Send pics of that stuff but don't be shy about the occasional pic of that beauty as she cleans up in use.

Frosty The Lucky.

I sure am planning on using it, from the layers of paint i had to clean off the face it looks like she's spent the last few decades as a garden ornament, it's about time she got put back to work!  I've read many times on here how hot metal is the best way to clean the face of an anvil and I plan on putting that to the test as soon as I get it mounted!

I don't know about the best way but it sure is a fine way to clean up an anvil's face. You'll be amazed at how fast it works and it' sure a lot more fun than running a sander or wire wheel.

Frosty The Lucky.

$275 american, for a 448lb anvil. you have seriously upset me and i think you should leave. right now.

leave your anvil in the corner when you go B)

seriously -beautiful anvil there mate, and you have a great place of employ too!

i'll have to get a tour when i come to london one day!

foundryman, nice anvil.  i've just gotten one about 1/4 the size of that, and am feeling pretty chuffed...i can imagine how you're floating (though tethered to that thing, maybe not as high as you *could* be).

as for your foundry, i think y'all owe us a refund.  that thar bell cracked... :D

foundryman, nice anvil.  i've just gotten one about 1/4 the size of that, and am feeling pretty chuffed...i can imagine how you're floating (though tethered to that thing, maybe not as high as you *could* be).

as for your foundry, i think y'all owe us a refund.  that thar bell cracked... :D

I am fairly happy with it, cant wait to get it singing with hammer in hand, it's a beautiful lump of iron in the "flesh".

About the bell, it's actually cracked twice! The current liberty bell is a replacement cast by Pass and Stow, the original, made by us, cracked in shipping, at least that's our story and we're sticking to it!  My boss has been known to say he'll be happy to replace the Liberty bell, free of charge if you should return it to us with the receipt and in the original packaging!  :P

On 5/13/2013 at 1:50 PM, Foundryman said:

About the bell, it's actually cracked twice! The current liberty bell is a replacement cast by Pass and Stow, the original, made by us, cracked in shipping, at least that's our story and we're sticking to it!  My boss has been known to say he'll be happy to replace the Liberty bell, free of charge if you should return it to us with the receipt and in the original packaging!  :P

*rummaging around independence hall*  xxxx, i can't find the receipt. :rolleyes:

I am fairly happy with it, cant wait to get it singing with hammer in hand, it's a beautiful lump of iron in the "flesh".

I heard him say that to Mike Rowe on "Dirty Jobs" I believe, I loved it.

Frosty The Lucky.