I Forge Iron

Business idea

Since spring is in the air, I've been hearing the wedding advertisements on the radio starting up already and it got me thinking.

Forged wedding decorations

Have any of you tried this? Arches, pillars, candleabras etc for either sale or rent?

I'm sure the demand is high and weddings are obviously big business. I wonder, would anyone appreciate some authentic forged decorations? Perhaps custom made decorations? instead of the cheap chinese cold formed pipe frame stuff?

Just yesterday our friends got married. He had the ring displayed on a 6" high cross with two entwined hearts. The hearts were made from trampoline springs and the cross was made from masonary nails. The upright from a 4" nail with the cross piece made from two 2" nails spot welded. The base was dogwood. Supposdly the wood that christ's cross was made from. Since the wedding theme was black and white. The cross was painted black and the hearts were painted white. I have no picts since the 'object D art'  is now on its way to a secret location with the honey-mooning couple. It was my wedding gift to them. Supposedly the groom got the idea from some pict on pintrest and ask me to make it or something similar.

Forged wedding gifts are indeed popular. Everything from a set of kitchen knives to the display stand for the cake or ring as the case may be. 

Freelance,

Start making. All your ideas are valid. 

Bridal shops need all kinds of arbors. Some they rent, some they buy.

Timber framed arbors with metal shod joints, are

easily transportable and erected on site. 

The real money is in the rental side of the larger objects. 

A bridal shop or wedding planner will rarely bother talking to you if you ask them

if they're interested in forged wedding accessories without samples.

Pictures rarely convey what a sample can. 

Decorative rope stands for walkways are desirable as are nice tall flower hangers, etc. For large items think flower trees, podiums and maybe even tables. (unlikely but I had it written before I considered how unlikely it was so.) Oh yeah, wine racks, don't forget the wine racks! Place/card holders. Center pieces. All kinds of stuff.

I think this is a viable line to follow.

Frosty The Lucky.

A bridal shop or wedding planner will rarely bother talking to you if you ask them

if they're interested in forged wedding accessories without samples.

Pictures rarely convey what a sample can. 

thats a good point, If a guy has an inventory already, the wedding planner or bride can potentially pick what they like right on the spot

Thanks guys, your inspiring me!

I know that when my parents renewed their vows last year (25th anniversary) the "theme" was winter wonderland, we wanted 20 birch saplings to line either side of the chapel, $100 each... needless to say i went to our wood lot and got my own, then the shop gave is a big price cut for "donating" them to the shop

Josh

Don't forget bollards to hang garlands and such from to make outdoor aisles.  I know that ranches in my area have a great deal of rental decor to make a meadow into an outdoor service.  

You might consider talking to florists as well.  They may have some needs along the same line.

• 2 months later...