I Forge Iron

ul approval east coast

Hi 

Does any one know of any one who does UL  approval for blacksmiths on the east coast ?

I recently did a few light for a customer and was'nt told abut the UL dilemma until the , end of  the 

job .Head ache . So I f any one might know of a source of a shop etc that does UL testing ,I would appreciate it .Thanks for all your help 

Greetings again Ironman,

I not only do contracts but I solve small light problems too....   Put a small part of an old light fixture in you work and call it a restoration...  You can buy an old lamp at a flea market and its legal...  You can take that to a lamp shop and have them wire it and save the receipts...   Problem solved....

Good luck       Jim

Wait, what? I didn't realize this was actually a concern. How big of a problem is it? I mean, is it just something to be concerned about  for certain jobs or is it something to be worried about with any light you make? How does it work with those "lamp kits" you can buy, ready to be installed in a new lamp?

Some states/areas require that only UL approved electrical fixtures be installed in a residence.  I ran into the same problem while working for a company that made lifts for audio-visual equipment.  So far as I know, it was never resolved very well, and we did end up with returned equipment.  The owner of the company refused to pay for the UL certification, as in our case it would cost well over $10K.

I would imagine that if you used a light kit that had a UL label it would not likely be a problem.  The motors we used were UL listed, the problem we had came from the control box which we fabricated in-house, which was not.  The determining point seemed to be where the wire from the outlet connected to.  If the motor had a direct connection it would have been a non-issue.  So with a lamp kit, since the lamp will have a direct connection, if it has a UL marking, it should be ok.  There did not seem to be a concern with the rest of the lift mechanism, so they don't seem to care about any of the iron work that would surround a lamp, just the electrical portion of the lamp proper.

Due to the variances in local regulations and how they are interpreted by different inspectors, YMMV.

many places require electrical work be performed by licensed electricians. there is more to electrical safety than just connecting a few wires. wont bother going into more detail, as lately I only get complaints from non electricians that dont agree with me and my experiance as an electrician for over 30 years.