I Forge Iron

HIppowarthog

Zanshin

This is an old project, I made it after a friend gave me a warthog tooth as a gift. It was pretty big and I didn't  know what kind of blade to make on this kind of handle so, after struggling a little, a friend helped me to design this blade. At that time it was not my kind of blade as that was not my kind of handle but, after working a little on it, I learned to love those.

After designing, It came clear to me that it would be a heavy duty knife, so I made it from a 4wd truck spring leaf, 6 mm thick to handle batoning since it has a little extra weight on the tip due to its shape. Left Brut de forge on flat surfaces, selected hardening with etched hamon, holow ground. Inox bolster, hippo ivory collar, nickel and blackened maple veneers spacers. Blade length 16.5 cm. Oal: I don't remember. I believe it's skinning some animal now, as the customer recently said...

Thanks for looking

Francesco

post-40283-0-45471500-1367864245_thumb.j

post-40283-0-77026900-1367864261_thumb.j

post-40283-0-99077400-1367864275_thumb.j

post-40283-0-07878500-1367864305_thumb.j

Very nice. How was working with the tooth?

Thanks Theo. Ivory is one of my favorite material, it's beauty at its pure state. Warthog is slightly softer than mammooth and so it's hippo. But, still hard and beautiful materials. Better not to work them with high speed machines: heat can make them crack. and I like how it yellows a little over time. Love it!!

Thanks a lot!!! I would like to make another blade like that, provably in damascus but now I am so used to the warthog tooth sight that I don't know if I would be able do design a decent "normal" handle for it...