I Forge Iron

Ironwood Renaissance Faire

Got back from the Ironwood Renaissance Faire late last night. It was a good weekend, lots of fun, and did a lot more business than I expected. I go as part of a larger group, Tuath Danns (Northern Dance), a Scottish dance group and encampment that includes me and Dan Choszczyk of Black River Blades.

I priced my nails at $1, but only sold one. Gave a lot away to kids who watched me make them. I did end up with the white tags, but I made some hangers from old JC Penny shoe displays for necklaces and bracelets. The "Potential Diamond- 25 Cents" was a piece of coal Dan came up with Sunday morning. Nobody bought it, but they thought it was hilarious. One little girl really wanted to buy it, but I gave her a little piece of coal.

2932.attach

2933.attach

2934.attach

2935.attach

Nice set up Nick. You'll refine it as you go and it'll get better and better. You already know that though.

The real reason I'm jumping in on this thread is your location. 10 years ago the 11th of this month I married a lady I met online :o who lived in Ironwood. On my first trip down we visited her son in Marquette.

So, is the renn fair in Ironwood an annual thing? If so we may have to schedule our next visit to cooincide. ;)

Frosty

Frosty, what was that they say about a small world? :lol:

This is the first time the faire has been held since 2004, the group that originally ran it could no longer pay the liability insurance, I think it was. Now a new group has taken up the torch, hopefully it will once again be a yearl thing, it had been getting bigger every year. This is their website: index.htm

Nick
I like your set up, and as someone else said," You'll refine it as you go along". We did a Peach Festival this weekend near here. I did something different in that I purchased some beige/tan table cloths for my tables. I liked the effect it gave because it made the ironwork stand out from the background. We had a good show and had fun and made $$$. I really like your idea for the "potential diamond". Consider that idea stolen! ;) During the fall I'll put some small chunks of coal in a little plastic baggie and hang a sign on the box that holds them saying, " Do your Christmas Shopping early for that naughty little boy or girl. 1 lump of coal, $1.00. Amazing how many I'll sell. Some years a lot some years only one or two. But it's always good for a grin and always sparks a conversation.

Nice set up. When I merchant at SCA events or other themed shows I cover my table with a neutral plaid I picked up as a remnant for about half a buck a yard. Sets off things real well.

Now that I will be adding a trailer to the setup I will be able to take more elaborate displays. I'll shoot pictures when I have them done.
Finnr

Frosty, what was that they say about a small world? :lol:

This is the first time the faire has been held since 2004, the group that originally ran it could no longer pay the liability insurance, I think it was. Now a new group has taken up the torch, hopefully it will once again be a yearl thing, it had been getting bigger every year. This is their website: index.htm

My wife and I aren't Scadian but we like ren faires, especially if there's fire and hammers involved. The ren faire in Anchorage is pretty pathetic but it was to be expected once the municipal "arts council" got involved.:mad: It went from an event that was crowded on 50-60 acres to one that is thin on 10. The local SCA, Elizebethan club, Scottish Society, etc. etc. don't participate. There is usually a pipe and drum corps there but they have to be paid.

It's a sad thing and we miss a good ren faire.

Frosty

Actually I was hoping for something I could sell the marks. . . Uh. . . Eh. . . Er. . . Ahem "spectators" at demos rather than something practical I could make and use myself. Besides I have more than enough scale laying around if I want to use it for hot punch anti-seize.

Like your signoff. But isn't the malleable end the HOT end? :o

How about:

"Carpe Frigidum" :cool:

Frosty