I Forge Iron

Opening up a hardie hole

Hi folks,

I have a cheap "anvil" (cast steel block that is vaugly anvil shaped) that I picked up a while back, and I've been trying to make some improvments. I've spent some time putting a point on the horn, but I still have a big problem with the hardie. It's supposed to be 1", but its a very poor casting, and I can't get any of my hardie tools into it. This is an anvil I use with my tiny home made gas forge, so I can't make new hardies to match, and I really dont want to have to remake all of my other hardies (all at 1").

So, my question is, is there any good way to open up a hardie hole? I can't really get files down into it, and even if I could I'd be filling forever. I've thought about throwing the whole thing into a forge and pounding a drift through, but I'm a little nervous about that.

Any suggestions?

Push thru a cutting drift/broach.  

The real option even thou you don't want to is to modify your tooling.  That's part of being a blacksmith.  A little grinding on the shank of a replaceable hardie or bottom swedge is probably less bother than reworking an anvil.  

would a cape chisel work?  Use it like Mark Aspery shows to make a hardy heading plate.  or would that require an exotically hard chisel to bite into a cast steel anvil face?

otherwise something like a sawsall with a file blade to save your arm from falling off?

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DYNABRADE-Reciprocating-File-15V986 ?

Greetings Sean.

You could try using a sabre saw .   Cut a metal cutting blade short to limit the travel and have at it....  If its cast it won't take long.. It will at least limit file time... 

Good luck     Jim

Greetings Sean.

You could try using a sabre saw .   Cut a metal cutting blade short to limit the travel and have at it....  If its cast it won't take long.. It will at least limit file time... 

Good luck     Jim

• 2 months later...

I had an anvil similar to the one you are talking about it had had metal upset into the hole from misuse, it only took me around half an hour although a good name brand file and proper filing technique are a must. You would be surprised how soft the heel and horn on some of these cheap anvils are. Have you tried filing yet?