I Forge Iron

Picking out a chunk of steel

Once you learn how you'll wonder how you've ever done without it.  I built my forge and anvil stand both out of scrap.  Definitely take a class or learn from someone who will teach you how to do it safely.  Keep an eye on craigslist, I picked up my Lincoln tombstone 220 for $50 because the guy said he'd tried to learn to weld with it and wasn't able to.  One look at the cables I could see why and was amazed he hadn't electrocuted himself.  The ends had be drug across hot steel and most of the insulation had been burned away.  I cut them back to good wire and still have at least 15' of cable.  I also inspected the insides and restored it before firing it up.  Search instructables.com for lincoln 220 and you'll find the steps on how to do so.

Dan

• 2 months later...

Well, I had to set aside this purchase until now. Helping out with some survival classes pulled me away from heating some steel. And having to purchase a few other odd and ends really tapped me out, SO I've only got $120 to spend. Hopefully a box of donuts to the guy, will yield a bigger piece of steel. 

My Chile Forge Habanero came in on Tuesday, and I can't wait to get her fired up this weekend. 

From my guesstimation the following sizes would be roughly in my range: Of these, which would you guys go for? 

Measurements are in inches.

1) 7-1/8 x 6-3/8 x 19-1/8

4) 18-5/8 x 6-7/8 x 4-1/4

5) 20-1/4 x 8-3/8 x 3-1/4

6) 24-1/4 x 6-1/2 x 4-3/4

7) 22 x 7-3/4 x 3-1/4 

8) 16-1/8 x 5-3/8 x 7-3/8

9) 12-1/8 x 10 x 4-1/4

10) 6 x 6 x 20-1/2

11) 21-3/4 x 6 x 6

12) 16-1/4 x 7-1/4 x 8

14) 4-5/8 x 12-3/4 x 14-3/8

15) 27-3/4 x 6-1/4 x 4-7/8

19) 16 x 6-1/4 x 7-3/4

20) 9-1/4 x 6-1/2 x 12-1/4

21)18-1/8 x 7-3/4 x 4-3/4

22) 16-3/4 x 4-7/8 x 8-1/4

Thanks everyone!

My first anvil that I blade smithed on had a surface face of 2x2 hunk of hardened steel.  Weight matters a lot! But don't neglect a small piece because it has a small face, it teaches hammer control really quickly ;)

However I like the looks of #5 #9 #14.

If you look at anvils they are rectangular, there is a reason for that.  the far end of the square would be useless space, unless it gets dinged and then you can spin it around.

Which ones did you end up getting?

I'd go for the best mass volume under your desired face size.

Figure out what ballpark face size you'd like to work on, then figure the volume mass of steel under those ballpark face sizes you like.

You could easily figure out the weight of each of these chunks as well.

If you're happy with 5x6 area, #15 sure would put a lot of vertical mass under your hammering face....

Around 240 pounds?  I'm assuming .283 lbs per cubic inch for steel.

6, 10, and 11, for me as well. you're going to get the most mass out of these three. and the largest surface size. I'd go back after you've made a few things and pick up a few smaller hunks for hardies and such. using a smaller hunk as a flat top hardy would get your hammer control down quick, but will still give you the mass of the larger chunk.

An update:
I went with the #22 chunk of steel, as it was a good work space while still being heavy and tall. Donuts were a huge factor in price, I managed to talk the guy down from 50 cents to 35 cents a pound . He said he would only charge me 30 cents a pound on the big big pieces. That would make those super tall pieces dirt cheap! I am hoping to save up and go back for one later on. At the price, it can't be beat.

Here are a few shots from today's session. I had a lot of fun, progress is slow. But I know I'll be able to make some cool things down the road.

Friday:
Picked up all of this awesome steel for $110! So stoked, all of that weighed 269lbs.

Temp setup:
Warming up 1
Warming up 2

Warmed up
Making sparks fly 01

Making sparks fly 02

Suqare anvil
Cleaned her up a bit

My buddy was kind enough to let me setup in his backyard, and also smoked a leg thingy of pork. Meat from his last hunting trip

Meat from his last hunting trip 2

Gett'n my curls on- This was actually my first time

Getting my cuts on 2

Getting my cuts on 3

Getting my curs on 4

Turned into a coat hanger 1

Turned into a coat hanger 2

Turned into a coat hanger 3

Turned into a coat hanger 4

Turned into a coat hanger 5

Put about 5-6 hours total grinding and polishing this chunk of steel. It's about as good as I can get with the current tools I have, it's no mirror, but plenty good enough.
3step.jpg

Rounded off the edges except one (on purpose) and polished.
IMG_8346.jpg

IMG_8345.jpg

IMG_8344.jpg

IMG_8347.jpg

Also got started on rough shaping my train track anvil.
IMG_8348.jpg

IMG_8349.jpg

IMG_8350.jpg