I Forge Iron

Arbour press for stamping lettering

JNewman

I have a 1/4" touchmark that I need to hot stamp into some pieces I am making.  It is the final step and I do it with the remaining heat I have left so I only have a dull red heat.  I do these 50-100 at a time.  Due to the shape of these parts it is a lot better if I can hold them in a pair of tongs rather than setting them down to stamp them.   Both my other presses are used in the process of making these parts and I was thinking of picking up a cheap 1 ton arbor press for stamping these.  Anyone know if this would be enough pressure to stamp them?

I don't think so. The one ton rating of the arbor press is the Maximum you can expect it to produce when your all the way out on the handle and applying full force, any less effort and you'll be getting less force. Also I think you'd do better with a striking force than a pressing one when you're working with limited power. As I'm sure you know thought,  a pressing force will be much more desirable for you're application. 

could you make yourself a holder for the touchmark that just acts as a fixed guide (perhaps with a spring on it to make the default position raised).  that way you can go straight from your last forging operation, keep the part in your tongs and your hammer in your other hand, place it underneath your touchmark, give it a whack and move on.

post-26562-0-77874100-1366939570_thumb.j

i think theres a name for devices of this type, but i cant think of what it is.  something conceptually similar to this converted arbor press to be a tap holder from micro-mark

http://www.micromark.com/Drill-andTap-Holder-for-Press-It-and-Sensi-Press,8264.html

Thanks for the replies  I had not even thought of a tool holder  that I can hit with a hand hammer.  A guillotine tool might be just the right tool, but  I may just make a spring loaded tool holder that fits in the hardy hole of the anvil.   A flypress would probably do the job but I sold my flypress because it takes up too much room with the swing space required around the press.   My treadle hammer would have also been good for the job but I sold it for the same reason.  They were both tools I only used every few months because I tend to use my hydraulic press and my power hammers more than the manual tools. 

guillotine would work just as well, being a square section would prevent the stamp from rotating, which was something i left off the original sketch, a visual index would work too if you want to align it before each use.  you could also make some kind of spring fuller that you can screw the touchmark into.  just make sure the spring action is pretty weak, just enough to keep the punch raised enough to get the piece under it.  too much spring and you might end up chasing the mark all over the shop after you hit it and it goes flying :-D