I Forge Iron

Fire Basket/Grate

Greenbeast

Been working on this on and off the last few months. Finally delivered it to the customer yesterday. I definitely learnt a few things doing this and was xxxx glad i bought a decent fly press last year!

IMG_1212_zpsa9f9cf78.jpg

IMG_1211_zps37325174.jpg

They had a fireback that needed a clean, so i did that and integrated it to the basket using substantial brackets:

IMG_1214_zpsc7565316.jpg

IMG_1216_zps5f844387.jpg

Fire grates here are orientated to prevent logs from rolling out of the fire so your's looks a little different. I was just curious, no criticism for you. A person makes what the customer wants or finds a different line of work.

Frosty the Lucky.

Fire grates here are orientated to prevent logs from rolling out of the fire so your's looks a little different. I was just curious, no criticism for you. A person makes what the customer wants or finds a different line of work.

Frosty the Lucky.

I hope i didn't come across rude, i didn't mean to :)

The customer knew exactly what they wanted in this instance so that made the job a little easier. I gave them the option of spikes at the front to help contain the fire but they declined.

Whilst you have done a good job on this, to your clients requirements, I would just like to point out a few things for future reference.

Cast Iron firebacks like the one pictured  should not be in contact with the fire, they will crack and warp

The Cast Iron fireback is not just there for decoration it has other functions,

Normally on a large fireback, it acts also as a heatsink/reflector

By standing it on spacers you can alter the draw under the fire.

By restraining it at the top and tilting the back forward, it also alters the draw of the fire, and acts as a smoke shelf/deflector to help pull the smoke back towards and up the chimney.

With regards to firebaskets (not specifically this one) generally the fuel(s) being used dictate the sizes of bar to use, and the spacings of the bars,

It can also be advisable to make sacrificial inserts for grates so these can be replaced easily at some future date rather than having to butcher or remake the whole item.

This can also be an advantage when installing them as they are a little easier to place due to the wight being added as an assembly rather than one solid lump.

On larger grates, a 3 section base means longevity as they can be moved periodically to compensate for wear and tear.

Sometimes a front can be incorporated beneath the grate to help control air flow and help in fire control and economic fuel usage, this can be a freestanding item.

And then we come to smoke issues, but that's another thread !

I hope i didn't come across rude, i didn't mean to :)

The customer knew exactly what they wanted in this instance so that made the job a little easier. I gave them the option of spikes at the front to help contain the fire but they declined.

Rude, YOU? NAW, I've never seen you be rude, heck barely direct on occasion. I figure we're more than good.

Frosty the Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...