I Forge Iron

Making a Hardie hot cut

Hello Everyone,

I am in need of a hardie hot cut-off tool for my Anvil. I would like to forge one myself and looking for some direction. I have thought it thought it through and I am sure I can pull it off but I figured I could get some expert advice to help in the process.

Thank you,

JR

Hello Everyone,

I am in need of a hardie hot cut-off tool for my Anvil. I would like to forge one myself and looking for some direction. I have thought it thought it through and I am sure I can pull it off but I figured I could get some expert advice to help in the process.

Thank you,

JR

JR: I know this is bordering on the eternally vile Semantic nit picky argument but it's a distinction that ligitimately applies. a "hot cut" is a top tool, what you're asking for is a "Hardy". The anvil tool for cutting steel/iron is the only bottom tool properly called a "Hardy" either hot or cold hardy. A hot cut is held with a handle, struck with a hammer and is a top tool.

The video by Lyle is a Brian Brazeal design hot cut and is probably the best design hot cut I've ever used. Brian also has a how to for making a hot Hardy. but I'll let you search it out yourself. Also one of the best I've ever used. Brian makes some of the finest and most effective tools out there.

Frosty The Lucky.

There's a nice video by Technicus Joe on this on youtube. Link is to first part of 3 on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfC-MvxkVhE

He's also on chat here sometimes about lunch time U.S. eastern time.

Thanks for the post, but this is an "old series". I have updated the cut off video with a one video long instructional video.

Here's the link, I hope it is of use to you.