I Forge Iron

Next meeting April 20th 2013

We are closing in on the next meeting, just 2 weeks away. It is at Pat's place, right?

There was some discussion a while ago about doing another screen, is that still on the docket? Not sure what kind of elements to bring for that if it is.

Thanks-Tristan 

Oh and by the way, this photo is not related in ANY way, but since I CAN post a picture in our discussions now I couldn't resist... :D

post-4928-0-47075000-1365118174_thumb.jp

Is it the 20th Tristan? I was under the impression it was the 23rd but I don't have a calendar handy.

Yeah, we were going to do a screen but I don't know if anybody agreed on size. As I recall the elements were supposed to be nature based, organic, landscape, etc. I was hoping there would be some discussion on the list but . . .

I finally got the dovetails for my new hammer dies welded up after getting the welder running. It's always SOMETHING! <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

Sure. drive out the Glenn Hwy till you get to Inner Springer Loop Rd. and turn right. Follow it to the "T", this is Outer Springer Lp. Turn left. Pat's place is no more than 1/2 mile on your left with a largish sign on the lawn out front. "Arctic Bronze" is the place.

Do NOT, I repeat DO NOT turn in on Outer Springer lp. from the Glenn, that way lays only lostness in the extreme. Seriously, don't go there, even the search parties get lost. <grin>

If you need help enroute give me a call, my cell # is: three five five  dash five two seven three.

Frosty The Lucky.

When we made the dovetails for Pat's hammer it seemed like a good idea that the holes should be spaced like on my small dies. Same thing with Frosty's only I am not sure how that ended up. So some of our dies are interchangeable, but my large ones won't go on their hammers and their dovetails won't go on mine. It should work well for an event like this, or if say Frosty desided to forge a hammer and borrowed the dies that were made at the Brazeal clinic from Pat.

I'll have my flat dies finished by the meeting date but don't know about drawing or other dies. It's suddenly turned back to winter and I've been having a heck of a time trying to get my old OLD Western plow working. Seems to be a hydraulic problem, maybe super simple maybe not. I downloaded a manual and have been reading it. Reports say it'll be warmer tomorrow so maybe I'll be able to pull the lift unit and get it inside the shop to work on.

Uh, now I remember my point, that's what I've been doing other than getting my new dies ready. <sigh>

I'll be seeing you Saturday the 20th. Starting time around 9:00am like usual?

See you there.

Frosty The Lucky.

Mark: Didn't we decide to make a grate at the last meeting? I'm afraid that's about all I recall. Did we decide on element size, general layout, theme?

I REALLY miss my brain. I used to remember things like this, remember to take notes, look at the notes I made, etc. <sigh>

Jer

Unfortunately I was doing a show instead of being at the last meeting, so I really do not know. I was just thinking from what is posted here that having the textureing dies would be a good thing. Organic form grill.

That's right you couldn't make that one. Do you know if Pat is back from NM? Maybe Vince remembers.

Yeah, your texturing dies will be ideal for the project. Good call. Maybe your cable dies? It might be fun to make some knots too.

Hmmmm.

Frosty The Lucky.

I was thinking it'd be a nice item so folk can see some possibilities of twisting. 1/2" or 3/8" are popular.

Are you bringing your turning hammer die for the LG? I have 8" of 2.5" 4140 pin stock I picked up when I got the hammer die stock at Palmer Machine. How much do we need to make a hammer? I'd purely love to have a Brazeal style turning hammer. I will however be thrilled just working with you making any hammer for the schooling.

Frosty The Lucky.

Pat has the dies we made from the parts Brian brought to his clinic, and the tools that Brian left for the club to use so I don't think that I will bring them. I have made a flatter fulling die for finnishing the cheeks I might bring that as I do not think there is one there. The blanks were 2X the diameter for making the rounding hammers, so I guess you would use 5 inches. The hammer that Brian had at the clinic was made from 2 1/4 round so 2.5 ought to make a whopper. Increasing the dia. a little really has an effect on the size of the hammer.

Yeah, 5" would weigh in the neighborhood of 6.8 lbs.  2.5" would be around 3.4 and much more managable. A file bites nicely so my bandsaw will cut it no problem.  Should I bring anything else?

Frosty the Lucky.

I recently forged one from 2 3/8 dia. cut a little long as forged, but not yet ground it Wieghs 6# 10 oz. I think these are getting to a size that they take quite a bit of time for the meeting format. On the other hand Pat is a pretty good striker, this might be the time to do it. I think we may need to deside if we are forging hammers or making a grill. You are right in the anealed state they cut fine with a band saw. If you deside to bring it bring it whole rather than cut short, the idea of forging these hammers is to start with the correct dia. for the end product if you start large with the idea of drawing it out you will end up with way to much work, and time, and more heats which will degrade the product. Looking at these posts we are the only ones talking about hammers and I was not at the previous meeting so I will think that unless someone or a couple someones post something that we are making a grill. If I see other wise I will bring my hammer tools.

That makes sense, I'll bring the whole bar. I'll do as much striking as I can, wimp that I've become.

There've only been one or two mentions of the grill/grate but I don't know if Vince or Josh know about the forum move to Iforge, I haven't seen Pat post either so he may not know. I hope the move doesn't mess with the meeting too much.

Frosty the Lucky.

I know that Pat knows about the move, but he mainly just monitered the yahoo groop by looking at his email. He might never have come here.
It seems like the iforge iron site does not update like it used to, is this true or is it just something on my computer? On a topic it does not show how many veiws nor does it ussually show when there has been a new post or who the last post was.

You can set Iforge to send you notifications but I don't recall how. Glenn checks in with us pretty regularly or we can just ask him or Steve for help. I know it's pretty easy, I just don't remember how. <sigh> I'm also tring to learn how to make a brand new computer work, Windows 8 is one weird program but I've only been at it for a day and a half.

If by updates you're talking about the problems they're having with the latest upgrade they'll get it straightened out one way or another. Andrew probably hasn't gotten much sleep since they made the last change.

I'll bring the hammer stock but it looks like the interest lays with the grill. I'll bring grill stuff too. If I can find a little copper I'll demo fold forming. That's fun.

Jer