I Forge Iron

Would this work as an anvil ?

Anything is better than nothing. Put it on end. Weld a thick plate to the top.

Search IFI for TPAAAT (Thomas Powers Applied Anvil Acquisition Technique) and put it to practice. Add your location to your profile as there may be someone close to your location that can be of assistance. Join a blacksmithing group or organization as they know where the anvils are located.

Actually, no, it's not better than a rock.  A chunk of granite from a gravestone maker would serve far better as an anvil, and actually have been used for countless years as anvils.  Vikings used stone anvils and look what they were able to make!

Using a piece of i-beam for an anvil is an exercise in futility.  It's lackluster capabilities will only serve to frustrate you, and by the time you invest all that energy in trying to quiet it, you could have picked up a hundred-pound chunk of granite to use.

It will definitely be loud.I have seen pictures of what were referred to as "farm anvils",which were I-beam with uprights welded into the web(as mentioned earlier).I would think that would help with the sound a bit too,but can't say from experience.I started with a piece of I-beam (very briefly) and put some magnets on it to deaden the ring.I now use it as a small welding table and as a flat surface to check work for flat.It is still flatter than my anvil's face.

Technically, almost anything will work. Just some things work bettter than others and HOW you use it makes a difference as well.... Standing that I-beam upright with a decently heafty plate welded to the "top" will work better than just leaving the beam horizontal. Do what you can with what you've got until something better comes your way. Best of luck.

-Hillbilly