I Forge Iron

anvil rust

hey folks, I'm getting some light rust ( no pitting....yet) on my anvil especially lately when it's been so darn humid and rainy. .I've sprayed with wd 40, doesn't work so great, coated with heavy oil, better, works ok..sprayed with turp/beeswax/linseed oil ( this works pretty good), but am looking for better solutions if you know of one..( I know build a bigger and dryer barn ( maybe someday)). Advice much appreciated. thanks.... chain

The best way to keep it clean of rust is to use it.

For the face and work surfaces, I have tried all manner of things and have found that ATF (automatic transmission fluid) to work well.

When finished for the day, I wipe the anvil to remove any slag and obvious dirt, With a small piece of rag, all surfaces of the face and horn are wiped with ATF. This makes holding the anvil difficult so move it before oiling. If the anvil is not going to be used for a while, follow Irnsrgn's suggestion and place the oily rag on top of the anvil.

I found that ATF does not have to be removed before you can use the anvil the next time. Just a wipe from a rag and your good to go.

I use a clamp on reflector light with a 20 watt bulb. Place a piece of wood in the hardee and clamp with the reflector almost against the face. My borrowed anvil was kept rust free for 3yrs this way. Will do the same with my"new" anvils.

I have a fully enclosed but damp shop when the air gets humid, so my anvil rusts if I use it and don't protect the work surfaces. I spray WD40 and wipe it on all the machinery in the place with regularity, occasionally wipe off the resulting residue where it accumulates, then reapply (I also buy WD40 in bulk so I use it liberally).

You can also let the anvil rust lightly and uniformly then use a right angle grinder with wire wheel to knock off the crust. A light oxide will be left that won't let heavy rust get started. Rust is actually a great protective coating for steel...

Grab some scotchbrite. Get an old bowl from the kitchen ( or a junk store ) and pour some Marvel Mystery Oil or some Ballistol in the bowl. Soak the scotchbrite and scrub the anvil till the rust goes away. Then keep a rag on the anvil that is damp with ( your choice ) oil. Pour the junk oil in another container for future use and don't contaminate the good oil. Works great. Trailer anvil goes without use sometimes months in off season and if you get a little surface rust, just scrub it off. As a side note, I would not leave any other oily rags lying around. Spontanious Combustion DOES happen folks.

• 3 weeks later...

IMHO, WD40 is probably the all time worst oil to use around machinery.It does have its place as it will displace water and is so so as a penetrating oil for lightly stuck things. The biggest claim to fame is it is easy to use, just spray it on and the handy little straw is great for hitting small hard to reach areas.

I own several vintage machines and absoltely will not allow WD40 around them as it is, IMHO great for creating surface rust. I am not sure what it is about it but I have noticed through the years that an object sprayed with WD40 is very prone to rusting whereas an object coated with say 3 in 1 oil tends to avoid rust.

I will have to try the trans fluid on my anvils.

Thanks
Steve