I Forge Iron

Been gone a while

Haven't posted much lately. Back in Feb. I had an accident and lost half of my left pinkie finger and had nerve damage to the ring finger. Basically I am down to two fingers and a thumb on my left hand :thumbdn: . The good news is I am right handed. After throwing myself a good pity party, I began to re-learn how to forge and use my Coote grinder. I was slow before and now even slower. Also have to watch those numb digits. Burning flesh has a distinct oder.
More good news. For 3 years my forging has been done on a borrowed 70# farriers anvil. Better than nothing,but not a lot.
Saturday, my wife and I drove about 100mi to an antique tractor show to search for an anvil. A number of people said the vendors usually had some to sell. After 6hrs of hot, humid searching I had see one no horn anvil and two beat up cast iron ASO's.
Driving back home, we noticed an antique/junk yard and stopped. After an hour of looking at more junk than antiques, I was ready to go when my wonderful wife found two anvils behind a rusty wheelbarrow.
After lots of wire brushing and a number of 120 grit flap disks, here they are. Yup, bought both.

new-anvils.jpg

The left one is a 127# Hay Budden and the right is a 119# Mouse Hole.

Hay Budden

hay-budden-top.jpg

Mouse Hole

mouse-hole-top.jpg

I also found a shop mascot. A cast iron cooter(turtle).

cast-iron-cooter.jpg

They are in pretty good shape and both have good rebound and ring. I am one happy camper.

Haven't posted much lately. Back in Feb. I had an accident and lost half of my left pinkie finger and had nerve damage to the ring finger.

new-anvils.jpg

The left one is a 127# Hay Budden and the right is a 119# Mouse Hole.

Hay Budden

hay-budden-top.jpg

Mouse Hole

mouse-hole-top.jpg

I also found a shop mascot. A cast iron cooter(turtle).

cast-iron-cooter.jpg

They are in pretty good shape and both have good rebound and ring. I am one happy camper.

Welcome back Cooter.

Sorry to hear about the accident. I know how rehab is, I took a dive off a tilt deck trailer last sept, shattering my left arm and am just now getting over the injuries. Do the PT.

I'd compliment you on your new anvils but for some reason I can't see them. I can see the link in my reply but not in your original. Maybe they'll show up in my reply. If not, oh well.

Nice score.

Frosty

Dang Cooter, that smarts when you mess up your fingers.
I crushed my ring finger in 2002 with a heavy duty posthole digger.
It most likely would have smashed my finger even if it wasn't a heavy duty posthole digger, it just sounds like a better story to say “Heavy Duty”!
As a result I quit playing my banjo. Most people and my dog were pleased.
It sounds to me like your wife is a keeper and is looking out for you.
I hope things keep going on the upswing for ya. Nice looking Anvils!
Be safe!
Old Rusty Ted