I Forge Iron

Located anvils

Found 2 anvils at my local antique store. Arm and hammer ($450 too much) not sure of weight and not sure of the brand of the other one but its 50lbs. ($100) I didn't buy either buy might if I can find out more about the small one.

post-35440-0-88287200-1363724218_thumb.j

post-35440-0-83394700-1363724228_thumb.j

post-35440-0-86072900-1363724235_thumb.j

post-35440-0-15771300-1363724245_thumb.j

post-35440-0-07589700-1363724250_thumb.j

The arm and hammer is about US$3 a pound; not excessive for a good sized shop anvil.  They tended to not have the weld seam dressed and if you check under the heel you can see the hammer marks from the steam hammer.  Have you made a counter offer?

Postman considered them one of the top American makes.

50 pounds is on the small size even for a travel anvil and NOT worth US$2 a pound IMNSHO!

I made an offer on both of them and they are going to get back with me.I guess this place is set up in "booths" with individuals selling their stuff so they have to contact the owner. I was worried about it because the seem on the face is visible the around the entire face. 

Greetings Cody,

The Arm and Hammer is the best deal...  Just a guess but it looks like 120..  150  ...   One of the best anvils made. I have had that discussion with Richard Postman many times and thats his favorite....   I have 3 and use one daily....   450 is a bit much  and I would forget the other door stop...  

Jim

The AnH, definitely, especially if it comes with that stand.  Figure that making the stand will cost you $100 in time and materials, so that brings the price of the anvil down if you look at it like that.

The other thing doesn't look worth it at all.  Way to small/light for my tastes and the price is too high.  

And a tong stand, too?  That would be a very very good deal.  Figure up how much it would cost you to fabricate a stand and a rack, and include your hours of labor.  If the AnH anvil is over 120#, you've got a very goo deal on your hands.

Not to say that you couldn't do without the rack, but they are handy and can be recycled for other stuff once you're up and running.  I'd jump on the deal.