I Forge Iron

Sandblaster Problem

windancer

My sandblaster [cabinet model] has stopped working properly.

The only way it will do anything except blow air is if I cover the nozzle and give it a little air for a second. Then it will work for a few seconds but even then it pulses, spitting instead of a smooth flow. It stops blowing sand within a minute or so.

I took off the tip to clean it but it was not plugged.

I reversed the tip and that did not help.

I made more holes in the pickup tube and that didn't help.

I taped the end of the pickup tube off, and that didn't help.

I swapped the pickup tube end for end and that didn't help

Every time I pull the pickup tube from the sand the tube is full.

I took some sand out and that didn't help.

I added more sand and that didn't help.

I replaced the factory gun a couple years ago and it has worked just fine since then. I have been very pleased with it until today.

The only other thing I can think to try is empty the cabinet completely and refill with new media.

Thanks,

Dave

At school, we have this problem repeatedly. Usually flakes of paint, rust or slag from dirty metal fall in the media, once a handful of chewed sunflower hulls. :o Any foreign matter bigger than a grain of salt will do to plug the line.

Completely disassemble the gun, blow it out with compressed air. If you can sight down the pick-up hose for obstructions, fine, if not run a coat hanger thru the pickup line to be sure. Drain and run every last speck of media thru a dollar store colander often. Replace when contamination is evident, or if no longer sharp enough to do a reasonable job. Enough rust will attract moisture and form lumps.

My suggestions mirror Johns. Clean the system, run the media through screen wire, and make sure it is bone dry. 

Oh yes, keep the cat far away. They like to add *things*, both solid and liquid, to the media when you are not looking.

• 3 weeks later...