I Forge Iron

Gas usage rate?

Guest Aengus

Guest Aengus

Noob here. I had a chance to pick up an almost new NC Whisper Daddy Low Boy at a great price. I'm running it off a small 20lb propane tank until I get a shop. I'm running at 6psi, which was the lowest that the (very helpful) NC support staff suggests running it at. Even so, the flames seem to come a few inches out the side ports-which I believe is the normal dragon breath(?).

My first tank only lasted an afternoon. Unfortunately, this was a new exchange tank and I didn't weigh it before I started.

How long should a 20lb tank last? Hours, days?

I have a wisper Mama 2 burner forge and it will go a few hours on a 20 pound. I don't run it constantly though. NC tool can give you the burn rate for each burner. You will need a bigger tank for that forge if you run any more pressure, my Mama will pull fast enough at 12-15 psi to ice the valve on a 20 pound and cut the gas supply off.

I do believe what you are seeing is Dragons Breath from your ports but I'm no expert.

Mark

As Rusty says, NC is your best source for your specific forge, but my experience (and I have an NC) and farriers that I have talked to is that for general work, some heating, some welding.you'll burn about 2 pounds per hour of flame time in a two burner forge. If you used up a tank in an intermittent use afternoon, the tank probably didn't start out full or it froze up or cooled the liquid too far.. My gauge doesn't work anymore, I just go by the sound of the forge so I don't know what pressure I work at most times, likely around 8psi. Here is a long thread that may help. I chime in with some technical data around post 35. I don't claim to be a real blacksmith, more of a farrier, and blacksmithing horseshoes for twenty years is more of a year's experience 20 times than twenty years experience, but I am an expert on fuel gases, etc. Hope this helps.

http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/19531-freezing-propane-tanks-a-different-solution/page-2?hl=+propane%20+freezing

I run a two burner ProForge. I get about 8 hours. Exchange tanks are becoming notorious for being lite, and one you get to less than a 1/4 the can will ice up in about 30 min, on a hot oklihoma summer day. My place looks like a meth lab, as I have 8,20# cans and 3, 100#. I suggest on only using exchange cans, one if your in a bind or you have an old can with an old style valve or out of date test stamp. Fills are almost 1/2 as expensive at a rentalall, coop, or propain co. Some welding gas suppers even handle them.

I have a 30 gallon garbage can I put hot water (from the faucet) in then put the propane bottle in that. Bottle pressure is much more stable especially in the winter. I have to put my forge just outside the garage door for ventilation and fire safety. This works for my 2 burner forge, 3/4 inch venturi with chokes. I plumbed in an idle circuit so with the twist of 1valve I can go from 6 psi to 1 psi. The forge will cool a couple hundred degrees on the idle circuit but comes backup to temp very quickly. I seem to average about 1lb per hour with this setup.
I dont forge when it gets less than 10F, the garage gets too cold and dont want a water pipe freezing.

Guest Aengus

Thanks to all for the great info and various tidbits of insight; all good stuff. The 'idle circuit' idea sounds interesting and would be curious about specifics. Being new, my progress on a piece of work takes a bit longer and I'm not as efficient with the forge and anvil as I should be. Obviously that will all change tomorrow :)

Seriously, the bottom line is that i need to plan on getting a bigger tank sometime this summer and work on getting more metal moved per heat. Thanks again! 

My  propane supplier added a siphon tube to our 500 gal tank so I save a ton of money refilling my own bottles. I fill the big tank in the summer when I get the best deal on  propane. Very convenient. The original plan was to run off the 500 gal tank but after hard piping it into the shop I couldn't ever get the forge to run properly. The Chili forge man said all I needed was 25psi sent  to the forge with a run of about 40ft through 3/4" pipe but after jacking it up to 35psi at the big tank I chickened out  going any higher.  I must have had some flow restriction somewhere  and need to revisit that project but for the time being I just cycle through 1/2 dz of the small bottles and they are light enough to move with ease, I also use the small bottles of propane with oxy for spot heating with a rosebud so I never have to worry about running out of acetiline  .and driving 45 min to town to get more, just step out the back door to the big tank fill up the small ones and I'm back in business. If only I could save the same amount of money on argon etc

Right now at the coop near me I can get my 20 lb tanks filled for $14.25. At the exchange they are $22.00. That's quite a savings. As far as how long a tank will last a single burner forge will use (approx) 1 lb per hour @ 3 psi., 2 lbs an hour @ 6 psi, and so on..... Another thing that will make a difference in fuel usage is the type of insulation in the forge. Any gas forge should have a Reflective coating in it,(plistex,Metrikote,ITC 100 HT) if not get some. it makes all the difference in the world.

I just finished building a (single burner) gas forge, and cannot believe how well it works. I get a hell of a lot more heat from that single burner, than I ever did with the 3 burner, which will now be getting a Metrikote treatment.

Thanks to all for the great info and various tidbits of insight; all good stuff. The 'idle circuit' idea sounds interesting and would be curious about specifics. Being new, my progress on a piece of work takes a bit longer and I'm not as efficient with the forge and anvil as I should be. Obviously that will all change tomorrow :)

Seriously, the bottom line is that i need to plan on getting a bigger tank sometime this summer and work on getting more metal moved per heat. Thanks again! 

Here is a link, This guy has the perfect example of an idle circuit

http://traditionaltoolworks.com/smithy/forge_build/index.html

post-24357-0-48030800-1362959723_thumb.jpost-24357-0-38184300-1362959764_thumb.jHere is my regulator and control setup on my forge. I have needle valves to accurately control the propane on both idle and main circuits. The yellow valve is the main shutoff, red valve is the primary shutoff and the black is the idle circuit. Normal operating all valves are on to go to idle just close the red valve.

I have a Diamondback two burner knifesmith forge. I set it up at about 10 psi when I weld blades or smith dama and sets it at 6-7 when I smith form of welded blades.

I have a tank for about 7-8 hours, depends on what I smith, dama or regular 3 layer laminated blades.

- Aslak