I Forge Iron

Hay Budden Serial #

Hi guys,

I have saw a couple threads on here about HB serial numbers and would love an idea when mine was made. Ive owned it a year and its a joy to use.

the number on the foot is 210440

Side is marked Hay Budden Brooklyn NY in large letters on the side and 304 under that

Any help would be great

Thanks

Marcus

• 7 months later...

Hello out there... I have a Hay Budden anvil that belonged to my father before he passed away 11 years ago. Now my mom and I have it and we were wondering if someone could give us an idea of its true value.. The serial number is A10715 and it is stamped to weigh 202lbs. We were considering selling it but I know my father will haunt me nightly if I allow someone to swoop in and steel it from us. He was a farrier his entire life and he said shortly before he passed to hold on to this anvil. Just wondering if anyone can offer up alittle insight on its present day value. It is in great shape, no chips or major issues. Just the normal stuff that I see on just about every one out there. All the corners are in great shape. Please help with whatever information you might have for me...

Thanks

Depends on condition, pictures needed, and on your location. Made around 1918. If its in excellent condition with clear markings it could attract collectors as well. I would say an average price would be around $3 to $4 per lb.

My theory is an item is only worth what someone will actually pay for it, regardless of what a book or website says.

If this was my situation I would make a nice wood stand, a good cleaning and beeswax treatment of the anvil and put at the end of a hallway or corner of a room.

Location can add/subtract as much as 50%  Condition can take it from scrap rate to Collector's item  Model may bring in more or less too.  Now you haven't even told us which of the over 100 countries on this board you are in.  I've seen "normal" that I though was extreme abuse and "normal" that I thought was nearly mint.. I've got a ford car---can you tell me what's it's worth?

• 1 month later...

I have a one that is close (A20887) it is a Standard Farrier and is stamped 208.

I have met several of the past owners and they were all proud to say they had owned it at one time.

It is traced to a ranch that purchased it around 1920 and has always spent it's life in the Carson Valley NV.

Do not know value, however do know to keep it.

Happy Trails

post-49627-0-04568600-1387342290_thumb.j

post-49627-0-00023400-1387342312_thumb.j

post-49627-0-85659900-1387342331_thumb.j