I Forge Iron

Relationships between daggers and sword blades

FieryFurnace

Once again here, as all of my very few sword posts have been, I'm just probing for basic info. I'm not a blade smith of any type and I do not pretend that just because I can forge a scroll or a leaf, that I can forge a broadsword capable of battle.

My last post was in relations to the "small sword," a triangle blade gentleman's sword.

I've really gone and done it now. I've forged a 30 inch V-shaped blade (more like an epee than a slightly hollow solid triangle small sword blade.) It has turned out fairly decent. It's good and straight in all planes and just needs to be polished up. It's probably got more of the heft of a rapier than a small-sword, but once again, I'm not a blade smith.

So anyway, here is the question. I did a bit of reading on warping during the hardening process. There were a couple of posts that had some of the info I wanted. However I do have a question.

Before I harden the blade and risk warping, I thought about using some of the same metal to forge a similar dagger.

If I forge a short 12-inch or so dagger with a blade shape the same as the sword, will it behave the same as the longer blade in the heat treating process?

Maybe that is too vague of a question and if it is I am sorry!

Thanks,

Dave

The honest answer is no it won't. Even if they were forged identically there is a good chance they wouldn't act the same. You've just got to quench it ,take your chances and learn from your mistakes if any.

So many things affect what happens during heat treat that it's hard to make statements.  However one comes to mind:  whatever can go wrong with a shorter blade can go much more wrong in a longer blade plus you get some things that generally don't happen in a short blade that can happen in a large one---why I suggest people learn on shorter blades with fast turnover times before adding in the long blade issues.